T25 Westy Electrics

Any VW technical problems - Post them here and someone will get back to you! :-)

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

T25 Westy Electrics

Postby dduffs » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi all - newbie here! I purchased a 1990 Westy California a few weeks ago and very happy with it. Only issue is that I seem to have some minor issues with the electrics in the rear of the van: the fridge only works on gas, but when the temperature is warm inside you can hear some sort of fan from the fridge kick in, although the fridge is off. The leisure battery does not seem to charge and therefore not sure what power source is feeding the interior lights in the back, as these work. On the plus side, the 240v hook up powers the main interior power socket (but not the fridge). Anybody any recommendations on where I can take it (I am in Ilfracombe) many thanks in advance
dduffs

Re: T25 Westy Electrics

Postby GBHgpJON » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:44 pm

If you're still looking for advice, our esteemed sponsor could be worth a try.....
http://www.southwestvws.co.uk/?doing_wp ... 9257812500
GBHgpJON
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby TawCottage » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi and welcome,

Westy fridges can be problematic but its usually the gas side. If the fan comes on at times, then you must have 12volts going to the fridge. I'm going to assume that the fridge is the 3-way type operated by a push button switch, ie. gas, 12v and 240v. The 12v cooling process will only work when the engine is running and the 240v will obviously only work when your hooked-up to a mains supply.

As far as the leisure battery is concerned, it should be connected into the same circuit that charges the main when the engine is running. My Westy Atlantic has a charger unit located under the bench seat that charges both main and leisure batteries when hooked-up but I'm not sure if the California has the same.

GBHgpJon's suggested link could be your answer.
Life is not a rehearsal
TawCottage
Chat slut

Postby GBHgpJON » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Or.......if your coming to The Fling,come and find us and you can have 10 different opinions. :roll: :wink:
GBHgpJON
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby dduffs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks both.... its currently at Mullacott motor homes and caravans as they are having a look. Hope to get it back on Friday, so we can come along to the final fling (day ticket). :D
dduffs

Postby GBHgpJON » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Ideal, hopefully they can sort it. :D Will keep an eye out for you! :D
GBHgpJON
Seasoned Slat Chut

Return to Technical Forum