My new project - Don't laugh!

Post pictures of your VW's here and make sure you include a picture of yourself - Always good to put a name to a face at the meetings.

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Postby barefootvw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:31 am

Thought you might like to see the wheels after their initial polish with wire wool and autosol. I've given them a few more finer polishes since and they just get better and better.

Wife was out when using the dining table!

Got a bit of a surprise this morning when I put them back on...

Disc on one side drum on the other! Didn't even notice when I took them off!

Nice new disc dropped spindles on the shopping list!
barefootvw
Chat Virgin

Postby barefootvw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 pm

No photos yet but I have managed to source a complete set of tinware, fan, housings and generator stuff from a type 3 so I can now start to look at cutting down the height of the rear floor position.

Not sure if it will fit yet, but a step in the right direction. You wouldn't believe how tricky it was to find a full set at a reasonable cost!

Looking forward to some warm dry weather.
barefootvw
Chat Virgin

Postby barefootvw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Haven't done a lot since Jan on the van but this week managed to get a few half days on it, so progress at last.

As with most old beetles, everywhere is a pile of patches welded on to each other! Surprisingly a lot is rust free though, and even the floorpans are really solid. I have sanded these back and other than a small bit of welding near the jacking point, they have come up like new. at some point in time someone has welded in new pans I think, but they are a hell of a lot heavier duty than the ones you get now! They might still be the originals as the soundproofing looks VW.

Much of the work this week has been in seeing exactly what needs to be done and cleaning up years of crud.

I have bought a heavy weight fibre glass flip front (when the thing is 60% fibreglass anyway why worry about originality?!). The offside front quarter panel had been in an accident and had 30mm thick filler so needed removing, and I like the idea of a one piece tilt front on with struts.

Around the rear boot floor / inner arches needs a lot of work and I am going to cut out all the old patches (which are 3 or 4 thick in places!) weld in new inner arches and boot floor edges rather than mess around with more patches. The seat back panel needs a support bar, and further cutting down now that I have a set of Type 3 tinware. I'm also thinking about a roll cage (anyone got one for sale?)

I've been picking up stuff over the last few months, so have new lights, fibreglass widened rear wings, etc when the time comes. I had a spare pair of Porsche seats from Judith's 944, so they'll be retrimmed and going in. I want to go very OTT on the interior and have a load of ideas brewing. A sort of Drag Racing / Saltflats meets Steampunk theme!

The garage is full of engine parts to go into the build and I must get on with putting that together over the Winter.

I've welded up a new windscreen surround and I'm pleased with how that looks now. The gutters and seams have been removed and I have tidied up the pretty basic job there (still a fair way to go to get these right).

I'll try and get some pics up.
barefootvw
Chat Virgin

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:32 pm

Hurry up with the pics Nigel looking forward to seeing this. 8)
Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, live today.
mikey
Wanna be chat slut

Postby rich-legg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Looks great 8) always liked vans, and that brown VW Service one is sweet as
Hidden Valley Park
rich-legg
Chat Virgin

Re: My new project - Don't laugh!

Postby barefootvw » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:01 am

After 2 and a half years the van still hadn't made much progress so I had to make a decision what to do with it. It is now in Bob's Restohaus workshop and progress is good. Anyone who wants to see the latest can view the album on the Restohaus facebook page. There is still a way to go but the guys have reignited my enthusiasm. Luckily I've also cut down to 4 days in my fulltime job so get Thursdays to potter.

I bought another Beetle that had been worked on so the guys are swopping chassis as the one on the car is pretty sorted. This does mean that I have a lot of parts to sell. Including a Beetle shell with all the structural welding done to heater channels, A posts, rear seat panel, etc. I'll get a list together and put it on here first.

I'll also post up pics when there is anything happening that is worth seeing!
barefootvw
Chat Virgin

Postby barefootvw » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:36 am

I haven't been on here for a while and updated stuff. The Wizard van is now almost there (at least body, chassis and running gear). If I can remember how to put pics up I'll show you her now! I still haven't sorted the rear door and the wiring needs doing, along with the trimming out but I'm very happy with how she's looking.
barefootvw
Chat Virgin

Postby NickV » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:18 pm

barefootvw wrote:I haven't been on here for a while and updated stuff. The Wizard van is now almost there (at least body, chassis and running gear). If I can remember how to put pics up I'll show you her now! I still haven't sorted the rear door and the wiring needs doing, along with the trimming out but I'm very happy with how she's looking.

Quick, before the website disappears!!!
NickV
waffle gagger

Previous

Return to Rides and Riders