1970 Bay Westfalia Campmobile, San Lorenzo, California

Post pictures of your VW's here and make sure you include a picture of yourself - Always good to put a name to a face at the meetings.

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Re: 1970 Bay Westfalia Campmobile, San Lorenzo, California

Postby TawCottage » Mon May 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Looking good Alistair.......one question.......what yer gonna do when its all finished.

Yes, I know......start on the list yer Missus has been adding to for months :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve
Life is not a rehearsal
TawCottage
Chat slut

Postby aogrady » Wed May 28, 2014 12:11 am

TawCottage wrote:Looking good Alistair.......one question.......what yer gonna do when its all finished.

Yes, I know......start on the list yer Missus has been adding to for months :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

Hi Steve, it's never done, always something to do, had a few days on it doing bits and bobs, but always tricky as it always getting used....Didn't get round to the fitting of the celotex and fire extinguisher, next time round maybe....

No list from other half luckily, but maybe when the camper is finish, i can get the motorbike back on the road.......

Anyway, back to more pictures.

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Wed May 28, 2014 12:33 am

Hi,

OK, felt better, didn't get around to fitting the fire extinguisher or celotex, so finished off the sidestep, and put it back on...

I decided to replace the top surface again, as i still had some longboard grip tape, and enough for one more go too, flash a little bright, tape is a little darker

Found the bolts securing the step were a little striped on the thread inside the step end piece, but on closer inspection it seemed that they were only biting on the first few threads, some longer stainless bolts from the stash, and then nipped up tight.

I fitted a new sliding door seal, and it's a bit of a bugger to close, and it does have a habit of just popping out a little off the final click sometimes when driving along. When i got my seat belts custom made, I remember requesting a small offcut of webbing, so i could make up a handle to pull in the sliding door to close it, so thought i should really fit it after a few years.....

Quite pleased with it, I really wanted some alloy to made a litle surround, but couldn't find anything, so just used webbing, nice washers and allen head cap stainless bolts. (Note to self, should really paint and polish the inner door window area.....)

Quick 10 min fix for the time being. Might get a bit more done on Sunday, Butty's Bits, Celotex, Firetec.....

Cheers,

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby TawCottage » Wed May 28, 2014 10:04 am

aogrady wrote:
No list from other half luckily, but maybe when the camper is finish, i can get the motorbike back on the road.......

You mentioned a motorbike........Make, model, year, maybe a photo???

Steve
Life is not a rehearsal
TawCottage
Chat slut

Postby aogrady » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 pm

TawCottage wrote:
aogrady wrote:

You mentioned a motorbike........Make, model, year, maybe a photo???

Steve

Yeah, motorbike, it's a 1997 Laverda Formula C. 668 cc parallel twin :D It's a rare bike, even in the UK which was one of the larger markets, during it's production run, the Formula version had a total production run worldwide of just 200 bikes, of which approx 50 came to the UK, with a handful of those 50 then sold as the "C" track version, with uprated ecu and open race Termignoni exhaust system. The bikes were fitted with all the trick bits in the day, Marchesini hollow spoke wheels, White Power suspension, and Brembo Goldline racing brake system and Weber Marelli fuel injection, when pretty much everyone else was still running carbs... The aluminium beam chassis is designed by Nico Bakker, and has a short 1375mm wheelbase, it's a exceptionally good handling bike, though even when new the engine wasn't as powerful as a Jap inline 4, but it did have bags of character- and a 6 speed gearbox of false neutrals :roll: It is a lovely sounding twin, with good grunt, although little power below 4500, it's sings from 6k+ to the 8K redline....

At the time, back in 1997, mine was the very last new crated Formula left for sale in the UK, All the Formula's have matching numbers, 1620 being my engine and frame number, now, nearly 20 years later, only a handful of Formula's survive, and I have the chassis and V5 of another one, chassis number 1610 and another chassis for a 650 Sport, (number 1395) and spare carbon/kevlar bodywork, wheels, wiring harness etc. I need just a engine and suspension and i could probably make another one...

Anyway, here's the first part of my story.....

I bought it brand new in 1997 after passing my test after I had a serious injury to my arm and nerves, suffice to say, falling into a plate glass door and severing your artery and all the major nerves in your left arm isn't recommended, neither was being on a life support machine for 2 days........a long term recuperation followed, with my determination to ride a bike again in the forefront of my mind, the Laverda is what i promised myself once i got better.......

I owned it for a few years, and part exchanged it for a new 750 Formula S in 2000, both bikes suffered from major engine problems whilst under warranty, and in late 2001 the 750 was off the road at the dealers, my best friend died on her bike, and another friend killed a few months after. I went right off bikes, and sold mine, and for years was bike less, but it was always there in the back of my mind.....

Talking to a friend about bikes a few years back, as he was keen to pass his test, i told him about my old Laverda I once owned :) Got to mooch about on the internet, as you do, ended up browsing on eBay (as you do) ....anyway, as we were looking, we saw a few Laverda's for sale, Ghost, Jota, 668, yadda yadda....er, Formula.....Whoa! Back that up a little man! Formula you say? 650 Formula you say???? Let's have a closer look........

:o

Well, that looks like my bike! That's because it is my bike - you never forget the reg plate! Wow! What are the chances of that every happening? 4 years never owning a bike? Any bike, especially a Laverda?! I'll place a bid....."Your crazy man!" my mate said; "You got the money to pay for it?" No! I said, but I'll get it!! I'll get a loan if i have too!

I rang the dealer on speakerphone, got him to confirm the chassis number......1620....Jaws dropping on my mate.....I said i was really keen, would he end the auction early? No, he would let it run, as there another bidder...damn. I need to play this cool......

Del Boy falls through the bar - Only Fools and Horses - BBC

I tried to offer more, he said he would contact the other guy - basically, I'm sure he got me to bid a few hundred more.... All the time, he knew i wanted it, he didn't know why, or why i was so keen. I was happy just to buy it, didn't care if it had mot, tax or anything....I WANTED MY BIKE BACK!!

As he didnt know who i was, he certainly didn't know i owned it from new, he went on to tell me about the service history, the big pile of receipts, all the money spent on it etc.......Yeah, pal, I know, that was me i was thinking.....The other guy pulled out as he didn't want to bid anymore, as the dealer had told him he had interest elsewhere (it was advertised elsewhere too) - I agreed a price with him to buy it NOW!

DEAL DONE!! He had sold to bike at a fair (good) price to some bloke who hadn't seen it, and was gonna collect the following weekend....That was me....He took my details, still the penny didn't drop at the dealer...
I had 2 big problems: I didn't have the money for a bike i had just agreed to buy, or anything to collect it in.....OK, I had some money for a deposit, that's it held.....now speak to the loan company....sorted....funds in place.....borrowed van.....sorted for the following weekend..... :D I needed a van, as i sold all my kit some year back....

Words can't begin to explain how happy I was after 4 years of not owning a bike, there it was, bam, just that moment in the day, that time, that place - it was there. It was meant to be. I always regretted getting rid of it first time round - even to part ex for another new Laverda. This is it. For keeps.

Not. Selling. Ever.

We collected it, filled in the forms - then the dealers face looked puzzled, then smiled...."I know why you wanted it it now!" he said....The penny had dropped, but not before it was mine!
The bike had been through another 2 owners since i had it, but had stayed within a 50 mile or so radius.
I asked how come he had it - apparently the bloke who brought it in, was quite a big chap, and i guess wanted a little more speed and comfort - he traded it in for a GSXR1100...this explains how hard the suspension was when i road it later, I found some paperwork from a race tuner in Silverstone, he had it get up for his weight and riding style, shame, as I had it handling so sweetly when i had it, shame i didn't write down the settings.... :(

And the best bit? The bit that made the rescue all the worth while? Well, apart from getting my first bike back, is that the dealer had the bike in stock for 6 months plus, with very little interest from anyone "Pretty bike, Laverda who?", those who knew anything about Laverda's stayed away, storys of engine problems etc.... So, basically, if it hadn't sold on eBay, this was it's final curtain call, he was gonna keep for another few weeks, then chop it up after Xmas and turn it into "a interesting looking trike"
The dealer was going to chop it up!! Jesus!! There were only a handful ever made!! I bought it late November......with weeks before final death.

Some things really are just meant to be! :D That's it, now full circle, this has been the story of my 1997 Laverda 650 Formula C from 1997-2004....

That was 10 years ago, it has been on the road briefly on and off, but has lain dormant for pretty much the past decade. Relationships have come and gone, and children have arrived in the past four years, plus owning the bus for the last 7 nearly, it has always been on the back burner. I promise myself "this year, I'll get it on the road" Linda says it'll just rust away, it's alloy, plastic and carbon fibre i tell her, but she won't listen.....

This year though.... :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby TawCottage » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:55 am

What a great story Alistair.........I once owned a 916 Ducati 8) that I had fettled by Carl Forgartys' spanner man, but it was a bit too good for the road and, even though I'd had a few years racing a 350 Yam among other bikes, after a couple of "soil yer pants" moments combined with 2 years of very expensive add-ons and servicing, I traded it in for a Honda Goldwing, which took us over most of Europe during my 10 years of ownership ...... enough, I won't bore you with the detail.....the rest they say, is history :D :D

Steve
Life is not a rehearsal
TawCottage
Chat slut

Postby aogrady » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi,

I'd love a early 916, but think that it could be a expensive thing to maintain, and they are still expensive to buy. Russ Joyner did the pdi on my laverda, he races for someone now, can't think who, he raced the factory Laverdas in the UK back in the day, and i think shakey burne spannered on mine some time....

might get a monster dark 600 for a little play. Though i need to finish the bus, but they are never really finished are they?

It shouldn't really take much to recommission the Laverda, tyres, fluids, maybe chain and sprocket, tweak the fuel injection, mot, tax etc, paint....

Ok, maybe a little while....

Cheers,

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi All,

Been out and about enjoying the bus, local trips to the beach, not ventured far, been seeing 56+W from the solar panel, battery nicely topped up, split charging going well.

Loving my Hayburner mug in metallic gold!

Got around to checking what blew at the MOT test when trying the windscreen washers.....

Pipe split from bottle. Tricky to get too, not really enough pipe, and awkward to refit. Found if cut at a angle, the pipe can be pulled through the screw cap with pointy pliers, though not pressurized it to check yet...

Next job, was the insulate the engine area, and provide a nice base to fit the Firetec cable to fix too. I intent to use some alloy sheet with holes in, or mesh or suchlike to cable tie it.

Celotex cut to shape, fitted and taped, with the rear section cut short to allow the 25mm power cable for the split charge system, along with the other power cables to the leisure battery, just need to finish taping off, ran out of tape

More updates soon.....

Cheers,

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi,

Finished the insulation in the engine bay,

Just need to find a suitable method of attaching the Firetec extinguisher cable, was thinking some alloy mesh, or maybe i'll use some stick on cable ties, though they may come loose with heat....trip to Homebase, B+Q had nothing...

aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby BJ1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:02 pm

Hi Alastair
Don't want to pee on your bonfire - oh yes I do! Normal Celotex is highly flammable mate :shock:
See here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?172120-Celotex-fright
I've tested it and can confirm that it is not good when alight. Kingspan looks similar but is fire resistant - again I've tried to set it on fire and failed.
Brian
BJ1

Postby aogrady » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:09 pm

BJ1 wrote:Hi Alastair
Don't want to pee on your bonfire - oh yes I do! Normal Celotex is highly flammable mate :shock:
See here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?172120-Celotex-fright
I've tested it and can confirm that it is not good when alight. Kingspan looks similar but is fire resistant - again I've tried to set it on fire and failed.
Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the heads up on this. Looks like i need to redo it. Though as the fire extinquisher tubing will be fitted to this, surely that would put out any fire anyway, if it's a fuel leak the celotex is probably the least of my worrys, but as i have 25 year biofuel hose, in therory i should be ok?! Bet the wooden furniture would go up well, and the gas bottle.....

I'll keep my eyes peeled for some kingspan, or i may try something different again. Alloy sheet might look nice..

Cheers dude!

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:43 pm

aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby GBHgpJON » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:15 pm

...... T5 in the offing?
GBHgpJON
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby aogrady » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:52 pm

GBHgpJON wrote:...... T5 in the offing?

Hi Jon,

Yes, fraid so! Will miss the bus, 8 years all told, but has gone to a nice family, and he loves it!

Here's some pics of the new one:

ImageImageImageImage

LWB, 2.5TDI, 6 speed, factory semi high top, full Clearcut Conversions interior, FSH, 75,000 miles. [emoji3] Much faster than the bay, (obvs) cracking brakes, (unlike the bay) but not 100% cool like the early bay. And I can't park it for shit, size of a house! And no one waves at you anymore [emoji20]

P.S saw you in the buggy down at the pebble ridge, we were parked up and sat over on the grass. Never forget the flat 4 air-cooled noise! I knew what it was before I saw you.

Alistair

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby GBHgpJON » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Looking good, I hope I didn't spray too much gravel near your van......was hoping for a play in Sandymere, but the place was rammed!..........

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
GBHgpJON
Seasoned Slat Chut

PreviousNext

Return to Rides and Riders