Sheet steel thickness for floor pan

Any VW technical problems - Post them here and someone will get back to you! :-)

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Sheet steel thickness for floor pan

Postby NickV » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi,
Am running out of steel bits at home for welding, need to order some up for a floor pan repair- want something that is thick enough but not too thick to shape easily with hammer cold. What do you guys work with on same?
Cheers
Nick
NickV
waffle gagger

Re: Sheet steel thickness for floor pan

Postby Beetlebank » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi Nick,

I am assuming you mean the Trekker; in any case you wouldn't want to work anything much thicker than 1.4mm with hand tools. I have various thicknesses at the workshop if you want to pop in for some samples to try, or if you make card templates I can guillotine them to size for you.

Cheers, Carl
Have nothing on your VW that you do not know will make it go faster, or believe to be beautiful.

Beetlebank VW Restoration
Beetlebank
waffle gagger

Re: Sheet steel thickness for floor pan

Postby NickV » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Ha ha, nice one Carl, wish I had read this before I made up the part yesterday!
I found a bit of metal, reckon it was about 1.6mm....thicker than I usually use. Spent ages cutting and shaping it [have an anvil which helps]- was just that bit thicker to make last minute adjustments tricky as you start to weld it!
Anyway, meant I had to be careful to get it right before I welded it today.....shame I missed your offer of guillotine!
All done now, and at least it is a tough bit of metal I used...
Thanks for the offer of help, will pop by to say hello as on holiday this week- you still in the HO!?
Cheers
Nick
NickV
waffle gagger

Return to Technical Forum