Tales from the back road..

Talk about anything here!

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Tales from the back road..

Postby muddy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:57 am

Working on various vehicles, normally the van, I get some of the old folks from the home behind us stop and chat.
Here,s a couple of the stories which I think are great.

Jack is an guy who recently sold his original Cooper S Mini, wish he'd told me it was for sale :cry: anyway back in the 70's he drove a car transporter for VW in London. One of the dealers he visited had a van like mine but a Baywindow. It had been sat for a while at the back of the forecourt and after a few months of dropping off cars he spoke to the dealer about the Bay. It had got no interest so was going cheap if he was keen on it, Jack had a look and it had a nice camper interior. he asked how much and was told £200!! Probably around the £2000 mark in todays money. he spoke to his boss and got a loan off him, picked up the van the next week and happily drove the van for years all over Europe with his wife on various holidays. :)

Another guy stopped by one day in his "new" freelander. happy to tell me it was his first vehicle to have power steering and he wasn't sure about it lol. He chatted on for a bit and told me he used to work for Rover and was a "Leader". He used to work in the body shop filling seams etc, they had a young lad working with them who's job it was to sweep the floor and collect lead filings to be smelted down again. There were lead pots along the production line full of molten lead which this lad tipped the filings into, skimmed off the slag from the top and ladled lead into bar moulds. All open and exposed to anyone! Health and Saftey eh lol..

I just think some of these old stories are great and love to hear them, Jack though is getting on abit and I think the marbles are slowing going as I get the same story everytime he wanders past lol :lol:
muddy
Wanna be chat slut

Re: Tales from the back road..

Postby TawCottage » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Jon......WAKE UP..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is not a rehearsal
TawCottage
Chat slut

Re: Tales from the back road..

Postby GBHgpJON » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Wide awake mate......much more interesting than Ladyboy stories......
GBHgpJON
Seasoned Slat Chut

Return to General Chat