Road trip June 2014

Talk about anything here!

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Road trip June 2014

Postby TawCottage » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:18 am

Hi Guys

Thought I'd tell you about our UK road trip in Ruby, in June this year. GBH, you'd better pull up a comfortable chair :wink:

The original idea for the trip was to re-create a journey Lin and I did in our 1956 Ragtop oval beetle back in 1968.....I know many of you weren't even born then. This time we decided not to go as far as Scotland, but still made our way up as far as the Yorkshire Moors.

Some of you know that I'm into Railways, both real and model, so part of the trip involved Heritage Steam Railways for me and RHS gardens for Lin. Our first port of call was to see some friends at Banbury before moving on to the Severn Valley Railway, where we took a trip on a train hauled by a "Battle of Britain" class locomotive named Sir Keith Park. Similar locomotives, known as "West Country" class, would have been seen on the Exeter to Ilfracombe line right up to 1967.

Next day we moved onto Grassington in Yorkshire via the Black Country, Stafford, Stoke on Trent, Manchester city centre, Blackburn, Burnley and Skipton. On day 4, we took a train from Settle to Carlisle and return, only on an normal service train, but the scenery was superb. Lin finally got her way, and day 5, a visit to RHS Harlow Carr Gardens near Harrogete was made with a smile on my face....honest. Day 6, I visited the National Railway Museum at York, while Lin wandered around the City centre, an enjoyable day was had by all.

That night we stayed on a site near Scarborough, then Day 7 took a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway from Grosmont to Pickering and back. In the evening we went into Whitby for a fish n chip supper in a posh looking restaurant.......so bloody posh the bill, including drinks came to £45 !!!!!!!! Day 8 saw us heading for Rutland County and the late Geoff Hamilton's Garden (He of BBC Gardeners World fame), Lin had a lovely few hours wandering around the 39 different styles of garden while I sat in the sunshine reading a good book, coffee in hand.

The next day we headed for home, arriving about 7 in the evening. In all we covered 1050mls, used 39.3 gallons of petrol, averaging 130.6p/ltr, which worked out at 26.7 mpg. Not bad for a T25.

In 1968 we drove from Orpington up the West side of England into Scotland, returning down the East side. Motorways were few and far between, the M5, M3 and the M25 didn't exist. We visited Stratford on Avon, Coventry, The Lake District, Gretna Green, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick on Tweed, Whitby, Scarborough, Beverly, Lincoln, and London, passing through many other towns and cities before returning home. Petrol was about 15 old pence a litre, equivalent to 6.25p in todays money.

Steve
Life is not a rehearsal
TawCottage
Chat slut

Re: Road trip June 2014

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Nice one Steve, well done a real nice trip down memory lane.
Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, live today.
mikey
Wanna be chat slut

Postby funkyfreakapotomus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:56 am

Yorkshire, county of my birth and one of the most beautiful places in the world!!

Just as beautiful as Devon!!

Love it!!

Planning on taking the kids to Whitby in the summer holidays!!
1964 Canterbury Pitt
1968 Bug (under construction)

Keep it stock
High with pride
funkyfreakapotomus
Wanna be chat slut

Postby matt69bay » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Nice one Steve.
Good bit of nostalgia with the steam loco's :D
It aint an oil leak, it's marking it's spot........
matt69bay
Rat Fan

Postby Muppet » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:45 pm

was up working at Minehead today and they had Thomas the Tank engine awaiting rides.
Who Needs a Haynes Manual
I Hate Spammers :twisted:

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Return to General Chat