Engine rebuild pointers please

Any VW technical problems - Post them here and someone will get back to you! :-)

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Engine rebuild pointers please

Postby barefootvw » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:26 am

I'm nearly at the stage of being able to crack on with my Beetle Wizard Van (Jak's Squareback is finally ready for paint this week, and then I can get my garage back!).

I'm wanting to build a fairly stock 1600 TP engine and have most bits. I thought I'd better start off by sending the case halves for machining, etc.

I got the prices from Stateside:

Align bore 50.00
Machine rear thrust saddle if required 25.00
Lathe cut rear main bearing for correct fit 10.00
Oversize steel backed main bgs @ 44.00
Polish crank journals all 40.00 grind all journals 99.00
Fully overhaul con rod set incl end to end balance 98.00
Chemical clean & hot wash crankcase 40.00
All prices plus vat

Before I send it off just wanted to check what others thought... what is imperative? and what can I do without? I'm not after spending a fortune and all this lot together isn't far off a recon engine once you have added a few extras like head work and valves, camshaft bits.

Obviously a lot depends on the condition, tolerances etc of the current engine but as it's the first one I've done from scratch I want to make sure it's right.

All thoughts or suggestions gratefully received!

:D
barefootvw
Chat Virgin

Postby caveman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:11 pm

I re did the engine in the bug a while back , I had stateside do the machinework and not the cleaning service, - it came back full of swarf!! I know I didn't pay for cleaning but I was always told to clean after you go. and I thought the cleaning service was to make the case shine ( not something im bothered about)

I had the small ends pressed in locally and tbh I paid £90 for that to be done so I think with the balancing at that price id get them to do it

i would use them again but i would add the cleaning service so you don't get back a case you have to spend hours ensuring all the swarf that they cut , out! lol :roll:
caveman
Chat slut

Postby Beetlebank » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:35 am

hi there,

Some of this work you can get done locally at Wilbore Engineering over at Nutaberry Yard in East-the-Water. I've used them for about 13 years now and John is meticulous and very reasonably priced. Well worth getting to know.

Cheers, Carl.
Have nothing on your VW that you do not know will make it go faster, or believe to be beautiful.

Beetlebank VW Restoration
Beetlebank
waffle gagger

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:48 am

Damn I didn't know they were still going, I heard John was thinking about packing it in, then I saw the workshop sold, demolished and developed into houses and assumed that was that.

So... seconded, Willbore, very decent chap to deal with.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Machining

Postby barefootvw » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks for the recommendation fellas.

I'd rather support someone local, so I'll drop in with my box of bits and have a chat with John.

I'm starting to look at ways of getting my bugvan project moving and now Jak's Squareback is out of the garage I should have some room to assemble. The motivation is returning!
barefootvw
Chat Virgin

Return to Technical Forum