Servo assisting my brakes..

Any VW technical problems - Post them here and someone will get back to you! :-)

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Servo assisting my brakes..

Postby muddy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Rather than looking at ways to make the Splitty go faster I'm after ways to stop it first :wink: :wink:

Running drums all around which have been skimmed and new shoes ( done about 1000 miles old ). Now the braking is 1960's perfection, ie I do use the figures as quoted in the highway code and want to improve it.

Discs on the front is 1 option but still not fantastic and have been told fitting a servo is the way to go.

Creative engineering and VWJim both sell dual line twin output servos, that is, 2 lines into the servo and 2 lines out for front and rear brakes. 1 vacuum pipe in from the carb manifold. This set up retails around the £360 mark. (VW scene tax?? )

Now what I'd like to know is can I run twin servos? Single line ones, each doing front/rear brakes and either twin vacuum pipes from the carb manifold or 1 pipe and a T piece splitter. I can do this system for around the £200 mark. Quite a saving off £££'s The servos I'd use are from Lockhead and come in various ratio's 2:1 up to 4:1.

Any one know more on brakes and can shed some light on whether this'll work :)
muddy
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Muppet » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:53 pm

I did a disc conversion on my buggy
The front wheels stop Lovely.................

just takes the buggy a bit longer to get the idea!!!!!! :shock:
but then I have virtually no weight in the front even with
a full tank of the expensive stuff.

only using a standard bug twin master cylinder but works a treat.
Who Needs a Haynes Manual
I Hate Spammers :twisted:

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby Globbits » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm not an expert on brakes, so treat this as my opinion only

I don't see an issue with generating the vacuum - a T-piece should give you all you need. But I'd imagine the issue you'd run up against is that the brake bias wouldn't be consistent, unless the amount of vacuum used by each servo was exactly the same

Uneven braking is probably more dangerous than unassisted braking, so I'd be very wary :cry:
Krustybarn quotes:
It'll be fine
F*&k off it will! (in front of 8-yr old "assistant")
No Carl. Seriously No!
We're gonna need a ton of filler
Globbits
Dad

Postby muddy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:31 am

Interesting points. Trolled the net last night looking up ideas etc and thought late bays run servos :idea: Might try this first, will have to make brackets for the beam etc but again should be able to get better braking for less than 200 notes.. :wink:
muddy
Wanna be chat slut

Postby muddy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:53 pm

muddy wrote:Interesting points. Trolled the net last night looking up ideas etc and thought late bays run servos :idea: Might try this first, will have to make brackets for the beam etc but again should be able to get better braking for less than 200 notes.. :wink:

Scrub the Bay Plan and back to Plan A, twin servo's but with a compensator (adjustable) to run on the rear... :) Had a chat with the Hairy German and it seems feasible :wink:
muddy
Wanna be chat slut

Return to Technical Forum