It's been a while! Electrics/Starter Motor

Any VW technical problems - Post them here and someone will get back to you! :-)

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

It's been a while! Electrics/Starter Motor

Postby Jamie » Wed May 15, 2013 6:20 pm

Okay, so it's a 6 volt bug, starter turns for a couple of revolutions, then stops. No clicks. Thought battery was iffy so put it on charge and it was showing full straightaway! So put battery back in car and then the same thing happens. Have tried wipers and headlights and both working fine!

Any help gratefully received :oops:
OG North Devon Society of Air member ~ before computers

M.B.Y.C
Jamie
The Jägermaster

Postby JOE » Wed May 15, 2013 6:40 pm

does it spin the crank ok jamie
JOE
Water Cooled W.A.N.C.er

Postby Jamie » Wed May 15, 2013 6:50 pm

JOE wrote:does it spin the crank ok jamie

Yes mate for about 5 or 6 turns, if I'm lucky that enough to start it. If not and I try again thins when the starter won't turn

M.B.Y.C
Jamie
The Jägermaster

Postby JOE » Wed May 15, 2013 7:02 pm

i think id be pulling the baby out, could be the brushes have finally gone after 40/50 odd years :D does the solenoid still engage ok could be an earth problem
JOE
Water Cooled W.A.N.C.er

Postby GBHgpJON » Wed May 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Is it worse when hot??.......Worn starter bushes dont like hot engines......
GBHgpJON
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby Jamie » Wed May 15, 2013 8:11 pm

GBHgpJON wrote:Is it worse when hot??.......Worn starter bushes dont like hot engines......

Nah, happening when it's cold! Yesterday was the cars longest drive in 20 years so hoping it something simple like a loose earth :roll:

M.B.Y.C
Jamie
The Jägermaster

Postby caveman » Wed May 15, 2013 8:15 pm

six volt stuff is more suseptable to voltage drop, I managed to get mine to work on 6 but it took a bit,
you need to check that all of your connnections are clean and clear of oxidisation, you need to check the mating face of the starter , the cable from the gearbox to chassis should have both ends cleaned and where it mounts should be burnished to a shine not just a wee bit of scratching with a wire brush. then check all terminals are clean and all push on tags are clean internally - if not replace cover any connections with a bit of Vaseline to stop water ingress

you can put a relay in the system near the starter to reduce the effective length that the electric has to travel and therefore the amount of voltage drop

do deffo check your starter motor bush is clean and clear and more importantly round internally

btw I have a few 6 volt spares and maybe even a 6 volt starter somewhere
caveman
Chat slut

Postby JOE » Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 pm

caveman wrote:six volt stuff is more suseptable to voltage drop, I managed to get mine to work on 6 but it took a bit,
you need to check that all of your connnections are clean and clear of oxidisation, you need to check the mating face of the starter , the cable from the gearbox to chassis should have both ends cleaned and where it mounts should be burnished to a shine not just a wee bit of scratching with a wire brush. then check all terminals are clean and all push on tags are clean internally - if not replace cover any connections with a bit of Vaseline to stop water ingress

you can put a relay in the system near the starter to reduce the effective length that the electric has to travel and therefore the amount of voltage drop

do deffo check your starter motor bush is clean and clear and more importantly round internally

8) 8)
JOE
Water Cooled W.A.N.C.er

Postby Jamie » Wed May 15, 2013 8:32 pm

caveman wrote:six volt stuff is more suseptable to voltage drop, I managed to get mine to work on 6 but it took a bit,

Cool, thanks for this Matt. Although initially I may make the most of my RAC at home cover for a change, I've only had the car 24 hours and haven't unburied all my tools yet!!

M.B.Y.C
Jamie
The Jägermaster

Return to Technical Forum