Mitsubishi Delica 4x4. 90% retrimmed, get the spanners out.

Other Rides including French Stuff......

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Mitsubishi Delica 4x4. 90% retrimmed, get the spanners out.

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Absolutely sick and tired of stupid lowered VWs that I cannot drive to places I'd like to go (moors/beaches/enduro tracks/surf spots) I figured I needed some sort of vehicle that would suit my needs and be able to carry extra toys (bikes/boards etc) and maybe pass as some form of camper.

Initialy I looked at T25 and T3 synchro VW's but they were either rusty or overpriced or both.

Then my focus shifted east towards the land of the rising sun and in particular the Mitsubishi Delica, in no way influenced by a certain mystery machine I'd seen here and there.
The more I looked at them, the more I could see it was the perfect vehicle, so spent at least 12 months looking, I looked and looked, watched ebay, scoured forums and generally gathered as much info as possible until I was in a position to buy.

A few suitable ones cropped up but they had issues or I didn't have the cash. By now my Golf was up for sale and there were some very interested buyers; then the seemingly perfect Deli popped up on eBay.
Problem was, it was late Jan and cash was tight, I had to go cap in hand to the wife and ask to borrow from my kids savings.......desperate measures indeed.

I eventually scrabbled together enough cash to put in an offer on the eBay sale to end it early and bought myself a train ticket.

On Friday I took the train up from North Devon to Bognor Regis - a few hours and 4 trains later I arrived in a blooming cold Bognor and met up with 'Tee', who kindly picked me up from the station to look at his L300.

The 300 was pretty much as I expected, in good condition and well maintained but pretty dirty inside. Tee said the plastic covers were from having the seats valeted and they did look clean, shame the rest of the interior was so manky. - probably not that bad really for a 21 year old van.

Being my first Delica I was shown all the features and went for a test drive. All seemed fine and the deal was done.

It was a slow but very comfortable ride back and I absolutely loved it, smiling like a special person all the way home.

It was gone 11 when I got home and it wasn't until the following morning that rest of the family saw it for the first time, the kids absolutely love 'the monster truck', even the missus thinks it's really nice which makes that 2 out of the hundreds of vehicles I've owned now that she likes.

I've owned it for nearly two weeks now and think it's fantastic, it's ugly but that's also it's beauty - a very underated vehicle except by them that know better.

So, I've jumped ship - but don't be hating too much as you may need pulling out of a boggy showground in the near future....
Last edited by regcheeseman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:19 pm

:lol: Love it!! especially the near side truck mirror 8)
A 361 original ;)
Ian
If Found Return to Pub

Postby Beetlebank » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Don't forget to keep waving at us!
Have nothing on your VW that you do not know will make it go faster, or believe to be beautiful.

Beetlebank VW Restoration
Beetlebank
waffle gagger

Postby NickV » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 am

Isn't that a Shogun chassis rebodied?
Should be reliable, different too...
NickV
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:54 am

It's the top spec super exceed so pretty nice on the inside (apart from
the smell of dog

Captains chairs, nice!

Let the modifying begin, it's going to get worse before it gets better...

First up I've fitted some H100 hyundai van mirrors (sorry Ian - I just didn't love the huge flappy elephant ears)

I've swapped the switch out of the door and replaced it with a
mitsubishi servo to operate the central locking

I then turned my attention to the rear tailgate, there will be a few
modifications planned here but first I've got to sort a few problems, I
dismantled the rear door lock, repaired the spring to try and resolve
the problem with the catch flopping about. I noticed that the inner door
frame was detached from the outer door skin.
A generous few blobs of tiger seal and to bond the bits together and
left with a couple of wheels to press the panels together while the
tiger seal cures.
Once it had set the door handle and latch now works perfectly.

Now for he re-trimming, first up the carpets came ut to be cleaned up a
bit
I beat the carpets, vacuumed them and then started to clean them with
vanish, a scrubbing brush and then a power washer.
The carpets are now drying in readiness for the next stage.....

Meanwhile one section of the base for the new flooring cut out from 9mm
exterior ply.
There seems to be a random scattering of wires with scotchlocks :P
running through the van that need to be sorted.

Meanwhile some more new wheels arrived (don't tell the missus ;)) -
pictures later, Im keeping them under wraps for a bit.

I noticed some tinkling sounds coming from the back end and decided to
ignore them until I looked underneath and found this.
The previous two cars I've owned that have had the bare faced cheek to
break their exhausts on me have gained side exit systems...watch this space.
Down to the save on tyres and picked up a stainless box, a bent bit of
scrap and a flexi and knocked up a stainless system

And here it is fitted

I then turned my attention to the interior - namely ripping out more of
it, I now have two piles growing in the garage.

This lot will be going back in (eventually)

This lot won't - air con systems for front and rear of truck

There's a few wiring jobs to sort and a few previous bodges to unbodge,
but access was a bit tricky.

The dash had to come out to do the job properly

Don't forget to keep waving at us!

As a force of habit I still wave at all VWs, I normally get a strange look that sort of says "why's that weirdo waving at me"
I'm used to that look so I'll carry on waving....
Last edited by regcheeseman on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby GBHgpJON » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:56 am

Not quite 'ditched the scene' yet then?? :wink:
GBHgpJON
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby Dylan88 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Lol glad your still waving :D :D I'll wave back I wave to everyone :D :D
If I won the lottery would I buy a Split???? No I'd do up my Type 25 cos I love him to bits :-)
Dylan88
Wanna be chat slut

Postby reddrust » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:13 pm

awesome work. Some serious upgrades being done there. Will you miss the air con? keep waving :wink:
Good advice costs nothing and is worth the price.
reddrust
The Jägermaster

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:12 am

I'll take back all I said about rusty VWs.......

Managed to sneak a few hours play on the deli this weekend, some demoralising progress, mostly in the wrong direction. :cry:

There were a few scabby bits around the seams on both front arches that needed some attention
Both steps are bad, this is passenger side and on initial inspection would seem to be the worse with a hole.
And the legacy of a leaky front seam has already seen some repairs on the drivers side which I started to attack with the wire wheel.

which soon exposed some more holes

Then I decided to cut the rot out which left me with a sizeable hole

Scabs elsewhere soon holed when attacked with the wire brush

The other side had similar scabby holes that needed to be cut out.

And to add to my deep joy I noticed that the radiator core looked none too clever

To end on an upbeat note, I put the dash back in and upgraded the front speakers
Last edited by regcheeseman on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Tue May 08, 2012 11:53 am

big update - whole lotta welding going on...
Got a little bit of time to attack the passenger side arch. Let the cup wheel do it's worse....

oh no!

dammit!

swear word!

I managed to get one patch on then ran out of gas. I found a bit of fluxed wire left on an old reel but it wouldn't feed, it was getting dark so I gave up.

As cool as the crystalite roof is with it's four motorised blinds, it's prone to rusting.

Not sure why the roof should rust in the manner it does as it's nothing to do with the windows leaking :i_dont_kn I'm guessing it's the rubbish frame adhesive used by the japs to join panels to framework. It dries out and cracks away leaving the two metal surfaces to move against each other leaving bare metal and condensation does the rest.

Anyway I know my roof has been patched pretty roughly, with obvious square repair patches dotted all over. I'd noticed some sealant smeared around a few patches as well. :roll:

I took the huge interior light out to get a better look and I'm greeted by this quality bit of work...
A ally patch has been jammed in place with some form of gripfill type stuff and then glassfibre resin poured on top.
As you can see in the picture the repair has cracked letting daylight and rain flood in.

There's quite a lot of repairs to the roof and most of them are cracked, the worst ones I quickly sealed with tape.
Not a pretty sight - but as I said, it'l get worse before it starts to get better and RR12 is looming fast.

Hurrah! Progress of the positive kind.

Lots of plates welded in, six in total on the one arch, it was blowing a gale and I may as well not have bothered with the gas anyway.

I was just about start the finishing process as I thought I was done with the welding....cleaning up a few places with the wirebrush prior to using some weld converter, just touched on a small paint scab on the corner of the arch and it just disappeared.
Leaving me with another couple of plates to weld in and the corner is good again.

Then a coat of fe-123 converter before a coat of epoxy mastic
Inside as well
Finally a whole can of schutz was applied

New brakeline, and grease nipple fitted and one arch is done.

So now back to the right hand side, first up the step gets plated,

And then the back of the arch gets a few patches....

Blooming rusty jap 5hite, never again! :roll: :lol:

Righto, took quite a while to fabricate the last two repair patches for the back of the arch, here's the one to repair the lip of the arch.

And here's the patches in place, pretty chuffed with the end result.

And the whole arch finished.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby reddrust » Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 pm

SWEEEEEEET 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Good advice costs nothing and is worth the price.
reddrust
The Jägermaster

Postby regcheeseman » Mon May 21, 2012 12:22 pm

This is a first for me, working on a car from a scaffold tower

With my new pimped welder the first patch goes in perfectly

I spotted in the second patch and then the welder stops feeding, has the new power supply failed? my wiring gone wrong? the motor brake relay broke?
I fiddled with it for a bit before spotting that I'm out of welding wire :roll:
Last edited by regcheeseman on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:43 pm

I set to work on some actual modifications rather than repairs.

The headlining was a bit manky and had a fag burn in one place so needed a makeover.

A few tins of spray carpet adhesive and some fabric from a local shop, was a bit unsure about the pattern but now it's on I'm well happy with the results.

Fun stuff over, it's back on the rot attack

The rear arches looked pretty solid but there were a few scabs along the seam so I thought I'd better investigate.

Pressure washed the rear arches to see what was hidden under flaking underseal, with a lot of it blasted away I had a prod at a few scabby bits they caved in fairly easy. :roll:

It was a similar story on the other side but with a couple of plates already welded in by the previous owner

I chopped out anything that was rusty and cleaned up the good steel in readiness for the welding session

This is how it looked on the inside, bit more grinding needed.

First up, the easy plates, long one going in....
in two parts as my steel sheet wasn't long enough to do it in one patch

And then the tricky section, that eventually went in with two plates from some thinner stock. (this is on the other arch, the same rot on both sides)

And then a coat of my favourite epoxy mastic
Shame it started to rain about 10 minutes after the paint went on.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:28 am

Underside of the step looked a bit flakey so I decided to take the bumper off for a better look.

Jeez.

Fitted up the replacement rear speakers

made some mounts for the side speakers

and fitted some 6x9s

And the front section of rooflining

Took a chance on a leather steering wheel from a space runner and it fits fine, an inch smaller diameter and sits taller on the column - just perfect.

The missus was off out with the girls tonight, leaving me to look after the kids so I couldn't go out into the garage, so I grabbed a load of interior bits, some charcoal grey veltrim, some spray carpet glue and then waited for her to go out so she wouldn't whinge about the smell of glue

Very happy with the finished bits.

Went out the other day, to find a neighbour had added their own modification to my truck.

Loads of panels still left to trim, you'd not believe home many panels in a delica, before trimming some they had to be repaired or modified.
Several long panels were cracked and needed plastic welding. and some redundant holes needed to be filled.
Holes for roofline grab handles and mountings for the centre seat belts had to be lost.

A aluminium plate, a penny and some tiger seal sorted that

So on with the trimming

Even silly little bits got the treatment - these are window hinge covers

It wasn't until I got a few of the panels fitted up tonight that I realised that one of the panels that went in first should have been camo and not grey - so it'll have to come out and get re-trimmed.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Globbits » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Looking good! As always, attention to detail is bonkers!
Where do you get your Veltrim from? I take it it's the same stuff as used to cover speaker boxes, but in larger sheets/rolls?
Krustybarn quotes:
It'll be fine
F*&k off it will! (in front of 8-yr old "assistant")
No Carl. Seriously No!
We're gonna need a ton of filler
Globbits
Dad

Next

Return to Non VW But Still Cool