Mitsubishi Delica 4x4. 90% retrimmed, get the spanners out.

Other Rides including French Stuff......

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:29 pm

It's not actual 'veltrim' but as good as, stretches very well and fits complex curves with ease.

From ebayzebedee fabrics - 7.5 sq m was a bargain £26 +delivery

I thought I'd have a load left over but keep finding more things to cover.

At a bit of a loss now, not sure what to cover the very lowest section of the interior panels and door panels with....camo might work and break up the black but it may be too much. Decisions decisions.....

At least I've got the stuff for the floor sorted, maybe when that's in I'll have an idea.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:39 am

Plenty of progress, but not a great deal that could be photgraphed, finally the roof panels are trimmed with the right material and fitted.

The van floor now got a clean and a new section of ply was cut without the cut outs for the middle seats which are long gone.

A run to the dump to bin a load of delica carpets, redundant air con bits and other general house rubbish, then I could sweep out the van and tidy up the floor.
Carpet underlay was first glued to the van floor,

Then two sections of 9mm ply were glued down and joined with MS polymer rhino seal from Indasa (as sticky as tigerseal or sikaflex but doesn't go off once opened.

Finally the non-stick black vinyl was laid

Meanwhile my new wheels have gone to Ken Smith - Trinity Street to be stripped for paint - it's rare that I farm any job out on any build, but in this instance I'm running out of time and would spend ages doing it myself and still not do them as well.

the pump has been leaking for a few weeks now, still starts and runs fine though.

Decided to attack it today, whilst I'm in there I may as well do the cam belt and balancer belt. Wasn't sure how to get the bottom pulley off and hoped to get away without undoing the centre bolt but it isn't assembled like that, so how the hell do you undo the crank bolt????

Can't jam an auto in gear can you? couldn't hold it with the other pulley bolts so I welded some box steel onto the bottom pulley and then bolted it back on

Well it worked a treat, with the bolt out the pulley still aint budging.

I don't own a puller - one of those things I keep meaning to get. However a length of 1/4 plate with 2 holes drilled in and I've fashioned a simple puller - yay.

Eased the pulley off slowly.

Finally I've just got to get the pump pulley off, another hole drilled in my piece of plate, a new puller made and off it comes.

The pump will be getting the full works..... it has the lamest governor ever, it starts clipping the fuel delivery at 2100rpm!
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:56 am

Righto.....the engine is still in bits after the pump pulley shattered as I (over) torqued it up. Still waiting for the new pulley.

So it was back on with the interior, I noticed I'd missed a bit when I pulled the sliding door shut to escape the rain. I've been putting off doing the door card but now it was time to do the side door.

Job jobbed and it was onto the front door cards, this is what they looked like at the start.

Not really sure how I was going to work it as I really need to keep the original vinyl trim in the centre section of the panel but loose the gorgeous plush velour fabric and the deep pile carpeted kick panel. Bit of fairly careful work with a knife saw it partially stripped and dismantled.

Then it was just a simple job of recovering and reassembly.

Chuffed with that.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:31 am

My wheels came back from being blasted,

I've coated half of them with epoxy mastic as a primer coat

Fitted some sockets in the light cover panel,
there's a permanent live lighter socket, a couple of RCAs and a XLR socket, the reason for these sockets?

Fitted the rear seats,
the kids were happy as they can ride in daddie's truck again.

I've now started the prep work for the paint, first up some filling on the roof
and the dent left by the rear mirror that has been replaced with a camera hooked up to the head unit

The badge and adhesive mess removed on the front and the holes left by the mirror filled.

Side strips removed and the adhesive painstakingly removed, LRM label remover, knife blade and a scotch pad.

some messing about with the tailgate badge, popped out the original red diamonds and dropped in some paint in their place
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby JOE » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:01 pm

very good keep the pics coming :D :D
JOE
Water Cooled W.A.N.C.er

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Beetlebank wrote:Don't forget to keep waving at us!

Didn't manage a wave yesterday afternoon bud (it was you wasn't it?), though I did manage a 'flash, flash' which is a miracle because since swapping over to a jap ride with it's opposite way round column switches I normally just tend to 'wash my windscreen' at people which doesn't normally grab their attention!

Not much of an update for a while but there's been plenty going on at cheese towers....

Some less rusty rear bumper metalwork arrived and needed hitting with the wire brush before a hefty coating of epoxy primer.
One of the corner sections was bent and rusty, typically my original one was also rusted but I could make a decent one by joining the best bits of each one

The van has been getting a lot of attention recently, mostly because it was mid-prep for paint and looked a mess, spent a week or so looking like this
Thursday I had a kid free day to crack on with the paint, I was hoping against odds for some vaguely decent weather....

Thursday dawned clear and sunny and promptly clouded over during breakfast. :(
Regardless I decided to crack on and continued flatting the roof and tidying a few bits, it took much longer than expected.
I bargained on a hour to mask up and it took nearer two.
I mixed up a load of two pack and fired up the compressor and put a small amount in my favourite gun but had my doubts as when I last checked it had something up with the fan pattern. Hoping that was just an issue with pressure or viscosity - but no, he fan was heavy on one side and nothing on the other.
I swapped to my new cheapo primer gun and carried on painting after about 20 minutes I noticed that the pressure was dropping and the compressor was not recharging.
I had to stop and check the compressor, eventually finding a duff contact in the pressure switch and just bridging it out.

By now there was an ominous grey cloud passing by, aware of the time constraints I crossed my fingers and continued to paint.

Ten minutes later it started to rain, not a lot but big rain drops. The shower passed but not before making a mess of the front panel, roof and passenger side.
I carried on painting on the drivers side and on the lower bits of panels.

The raindrops dried and I continued to whack more paint on, there was a fair bit of dust and now the flies had arrived :(

I carried on painting until I had a decent coat all over, with extra on the rain marked panels with a view to being ale to flat it out.

With the light going and temp dropping the van looked like this.

Not bad, fair bit or orange peel and a bit blotchy - I left it to dry.

This morning I went out to take a look - not good, it had dried streaky and some areas had bloomed badly. There were a few whitey patches and the front panel was almost all a light grey colour.

And the masking tape had let go and a few sections were flapping about - I pressed them back down and hope they stayed.

Now for a favourite trick of mine, load the gun with 25% satin black celly and celly 75% thinners. A light dustin all over and the paint just softens and dries uniform and matt almost like a black cast iron in texture and colour. The results were good and the bloom was all gone. Yay!

I could now un mask and refit the bits....

Well happy with that, and my youngest summed it up with "AWESOME!"

Where should that number plate go? Central as above or offset to the right?

The tailgate has the reflector removed

But it'll be going back on, after a bit of carbon film work

Finally got to use the truck for the reason it was bought, fun and taking the family and my toys on holiday....

Not far from home she had a birthday...

A favourite parking spot on the North Cornwall coast

And finally home from holidays and the work for retro rides continues, a bit of a run...

Tyres now mounted to rims, get them fitted up with spacers tonight!
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby caveman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 am

seen it up at the hospital - looks good!!
caveman
Chat slut

Postby jason gallagher » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:54 pm

saw you out tother day followed you in my yellow t4 with the grafiti , god those rims are defo green
all i realy wanted was a hot rod
jason gallagher
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby regcheeseman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 pm

saw you out tother day followed you in my yellow t4 with the grafiti , god those rims are defo green

Yep I clocked you behind on the run up to Pottington lights.

I fitted my freshly painted wheels on spacers

Only one small problem.....I cannot get anything into the van at the moment.

The poke means I cannot open the side door. :bh

Of course I could take off the leepu spacers, or do something with the hinge........

Fired up the welder when I got home from work and raided the scrap bin

Job done

Fitted

Only problem is that shutting the door is now a two-handed operation as the catch by the hinge bounces so you have to push the trailing edge of the door in.

Also means you can not slide the door shut from the inside.

Maybe I can make some adjustments at a later date to get it to work properly

Took a run up to Retro Rides gathering last weekend, got a couple of pictures of how she sits at the moment.

regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Previous

Return to Non VW But Still Cool