Delicas - anybody

Other Rides including French Stuff......

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Delicas - anybody

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I want a van,

Having toyed with staying VW I've decided that they are either overpriced / unreliable / rusty / common or a combination of all of those.

As 'he with the biggest toys wins' I fancy myself a Delica.

Anyone got one / had one / selling one? I'd like to know your experiences.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby sid the frog » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Well about 8 years ago I did what you are contemplating for the same reasons. I bought one of the earlier Delica's (still prefer those) and although it had all the bells and whistles I felt like an outcast in it.
One day at the beach at Westward Ho! there was a group of VW's and as I passed the group I waved .......... they looked at me as if I was mobile dog pooh :roll:
After that I went back to the old Wolfsburg product :wink:
A VW is not just for christmas.
sid the frog
Chat Virgin

Postby regcheeseman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:44 pm

I bought one of the earlier Delica's (still prefer those) and although it had all the bells and whistles I felt like an outcast in it.
One day at the beach at Westward Ho! there was a group of VW's and as I passed the group I waved .......... they looked at me as if I was mobile dog pooh

Well done, you've just confirmed my reasons for getting one. If those are representative attitudes of a group of people - I would want nothing to do with them anyway.

I'd like another T4 as I loved mine (bought back in 93!) most of the bay and T3 owners I met up with questioned the choice of the T4 and openly mocked it.......funny how things change ;)

The early L300s are the cool looking ones, what were your ownership experiences like? The only thing putting me off is the 60 mph cruise speed and sub 25mpg.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby jimbob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:04 pm

i had an early model for about 2 years - great fun - never let me down, used to camp in it loads, took it SW france - my experience was slighted rose tinted as i bought after selling my rather crap and unreliable T25 aircooled - which whilst I loved the layout and space was the biggest pile of aircooled doogy doo I've owned ................saying that if it was up for sale now and i had the money I'd happily buy it back :roll:
oops
jimbob
W.A.N.C.er

Postby sid the frog » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:18 am

Yes around 60mph comfortably and 25mpg so nothing spectacular there. Also had a type 4 and after a lot of leg pulling by bay driving friends returned to a T25 and they still mocked but to me it is the ultimate Transporter van .... evolution not revolution :wink:
A VW is not just for christmas.
sid the frog
Chat Virgin

Return to Non VW But Still Cool