so i got given a free engine...

Post pictures of your VW's here and make sure you include a picture of yourself - Always good to put a name to a face at the meetings.

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

so i got given a free engine...

Postby caveman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:20 pm

so I got given a free engine from a guy on the ssvc fourum , my dad picked it up for me yesterday,

it was said to be a runner that smoked

its a mongrel of an engine tbh - a singleport converted to a twin port and the previous owner wanted to go stock so got rid of this one.
so I had a look at it last night,

its got

8 doweled flywheel and crank

Brand new heads

swivel foot rockers!

cut to length push rods!!

then the bad bit

the barrels and pistons are 87.95cc and the piston rings have worn out. - not surprising when you see how thin the walls are!!! - I reckon circa 1mm!!

the bottom end seems ok with no excess play in anything!

there are a few other bolt on "goodies" that will be coming off. but I think that with a set of barrels and pistons that I have in the shed il have a runner!!

so after a huge amount of bad luck I think ive stumbled across a winner!!
Last edited by caveman on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caveman
Chat slut

Re: so i got given a free engine...

Postby caveman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:20 pm

caveman
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:27 pm

have a spare set of barrels and pistons that I can fit to the engine and a fanhousing etc so I will build it up to use my set of kadron carbs ( rejetted to suit) so hopefully I will have an engine I can use in the van to get me going for now - il still build the 1776 cc as this one can be a spare (we have 4 aircooleds in the family so its prob worth having one!)
caveman
Chat slut

Postby TawCottage » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Things could be looking up Matt....lets hope so :wink:
Life is not a rehearsal
TawCottage
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:52 pm

I know - im not used to good luck! - I am going to rebuild it next week during the evenings as im off to cornwall for the weekend 8)
caveman
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:39 pm

So i have cleaned everything up thrown away the 1679cc barrels and pistons (if u want em they are in the bin collections tuesday lol) and rebuilt one side of the engine with new gaskets etc . Its thrown up even more reasons to cause it to run hot ( somthing it didnt seem to do??) - the oil cooler gaskets were crushed over causing possible oil flow problems.

Anyhow its coming together now .
caveman
Chat slut

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:44 am

Now What that famous saying?

"Never look a Gift horse in the mouth" :lol:

You just love stripping engines Matt.... :D
A 361 original ;)
Ian
If Found Return to Pub

Postby caveman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:52 am

I am very greatful dude its going to help me alot . I cant wait to be driving again - ive turned into a subaru driver apprently lol ( cant not overtake someone lol)

Ive always thought if you look a gift horse in the mouth - he might bite ya nose off!! Lol
caveman
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:41 pm

So i started to rebuild the engine with new 1600cc b n ps i built one side . I found even more reason why it should have run hot. The oil cooler gaskets were crimped over restricting the oil flow?

so I have started the rebuild , i cleaned up the heads etc Image

I have replaced the barrels and pistons, and refitted the push rod tubes and heads , then the push rods and swivel head rockers

do you set swivel foot rockers the same as normal ones??

I tested the push rods and the yare cromoly as the magnet sticks , when setting for loose fit how do I know when the vale is at tdc ? I normally checked by moving the rockers to see that they were both loose and the pulley wheel marks sat at tdc.

anyway I carried on building up the engine, with carbs , heat exchangers and fanshroud, - I have got to change the carbs venturis and jets bak to the standard sizes but that shall be done tomorrow, and then set the flywheel gland nut and all the settings.

I am looking to fit the engine at the weekend on-call allowing

caveman
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:27 pm

so I finished off the build timed it and did all the usual stuff then the moment of truth came,

and it fluffed and farted so I found a hole in the heat exchanger so after that was welded up I tried again, still fluffed but no farting - so we were a step further forward

then I worked out that the fuel pressure was too high for the kadrons, so I lowered the pressure on the filter king fuel pressure filter and it ran well !!

http://vid28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/caveman774/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/20150327_155030.mp4
caveman
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:29 pm

it sounds tappy as its got chromoly push rods and swivel foot rockers not a lack of oil as my mate said on facebook lol
caveman
Chat slut

Return to Rides and Riders