my new engine build

Post pictures of your VW's here and make sure you include a picture of yourself - Always good to put a name to a face at the meetings.

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Re: my new engine build

Postby caveman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:54 am

so I have done some work on it eventually, I have added the internals and torqued the case - it all rotates freely etc so that's cool
then I added the barrels and pistons and checked the deck height its at 0.050 then checking the cc of the heads is 49cc using the engine calculator magic tool it works out as 8.9:1 so that shoud be cool for the scat c25 cam im using. - ill have to recheck it though as I was rather tired by that point lol

caveman
Chat slut

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Your getting there Matt, slowly but surely your getting there. On the road fore next summer. :D
Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, live today.
mikey
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:13 pm

yeah - the house move and job change is slowing things down quite a bit ill get there - hopefully before the end of august 8)

caveman
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:24 pm

so I re checked the deck height, and it turned out I had to buy 0.20 shims to give me 8.3:1 ( I miss calculated last time due to tiredness on my part).

so I have bought some and also some gunk to clean the components and get them ready for refit!

ill keep you posted I'm going to try to push on now as I need a reliable fast engine for my van as the "mongrel engine" doesn't like hills much lol ( lightened flywheel)
caveman
Chat slut

Postby Beetlebank » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Check the spot-facing on the M8 case bolts (usually top front) - sometimes the seatings are left as-cast, putting the studs in bending. Not nice.

Cheers, Carl.
Have nothing on your VW that you do not know will make it go faster, or believe to be beautiful.

Beetlebank VW Restoration
Beetlebank
waffle gagger

Postby caveman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:06 am

Ok will do cheers carl.
caveman
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:14 am

Ok will do cheers carl.
caveman
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:16 pm

so I have spent some time on it again, I managed to get the small block built up with all the bearings coated in assembly lube torqued the case nuts and the studs inserted with Loctite to help prevent leaks,Image

i the came up against what i shall call "my luck" i bought a set of pushrods tube from a supplier ( I'm not too sure who) and didn't check them and when i came to use them i have a magpie in the nest lol - ade has a set he will give me that have been painted black to aid heat transfer . hey ho lol next time its longblock time Image

[IMG]

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/ ... 211342.jpg[/IMG]

i also covered the oil cooler in a soft foam to ensure the correct damming of the air in the fanhousing and added the all important "hoover bit" Image

caveman
Chat slut

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:20 am

Those push rod tubes have come from GSF dude :?
OG North Devon Society of Air member ~ before computers

M.B.Y.C
Jamie
The Jägermaster

Postby caveman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:36 am

ah cheers dude that makes sense dude cheers il pop in to see them
caveman
Chat slut

Postby caveman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 pm

we set the end float as well to the minimum tolerance and it still turns freely!
caveman
Chat slut

Postby Beetlebank » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:31 pm

caveman wrote:we set the end float as well to the minimum tolerance and it still turns freely!

Hi Matt,

I have heard from several sources that setting 0.003" end float has resulted in bearing seizure with ali cases and the currently available bearings. It's happened to me too...

Cheers, Carl.
Have nothing on your VW that you do not know will make it go faster, or believe to be beautiful.

Beetlebank
waffle gagger

Postby caveman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:43 pm

ahh right, is there a suitable setting quoted out there? - I can always change it - thanks for the heads up
caveman
Chat slut

Postby Beetlebank » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:44 pm

caveman wrote:ahh right, is there a suitable setting quoted out there? - I can always change it - thanks for the heads up

I always build at 0.004" now. Never was a problem with VW-made parts, but now! Once bitten...

Beetlebank
waffle gagger

Postby caveman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:29 pm

so I have done some more work on the engine , I have added the barrels and pistons and added the cylinder heads that we previously measured at 49cc we have also worked out the compression ratio to be correct with the shims we fitted ( I forget the sizes but I am sure it was all good at the time lol)

I also fitted the sump plate with new strainer and gaskets etc

I will change the end float soon as I don't fancy a seizure
caveman
Chat slut

PreviousNext

Return to Rides and Riders