MK2 16V Mk2 Golf Project

Post pictures of your VW's here and make sure you include a picture of yourself - Always good to put a name to a face at the meetings.

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Postby GBHgpJON » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Always satisfying slapping the gloop on........feels like you're getting somewhere, dont it!
GBHgpJON
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby regcheeseman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:16 am

GBHgpJON wrote:Always satisfying slapping the gloop on........feels like you're getting somewhere, dont it!

It does indeed, my joy at the progress was short lived last night when things went a bit backwards....

In order to get the rear end re-assembled I started by build up the freshly painted rear beam whilst it was sat on the trusty workmate

First up, lets fit the rear discs/hubs... when I fitted the shrouds and stub axles I wasn't sure what order to fit them so I checked on the net and found this picture

Odd? shrouds on top of stubs? It's on the internet so it must be true..

Is it balls - the discs foul the shrouds before being anywhere near fitted, damn you internets. Shrouds off, swapped around and the discs bolt up fine.

Now to rebuild a calliper or two, can't fit the pads because I need a push back tool

Ok - might as well fit the lines back on to the rear beam, but ahhh no, what's this? The lines have shrunk and no longer reach the callipers, not even close

Cant work out what's going on? have I mixed up the stub axles and forced the callipers into the wrong location??? or were they wrong when I bought the car???

Absolutely certain that I'm going to have to strip it all down and swap the stub axles left to right, I go back to google and ETOS to try and work it out before the realisation that the hard lines don't bolt to the callipers (obvoiusly) and there is another bracket required and another flexi. At least it's assembled right so far.

Oh and those discs are brand new, they've just been sat in a damp garage for around 12 months
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:59 am

Had a few hours to get some decent progress under way last night, mostly rebuild the rear underside of the car.

Gym? Bench press? Hah poofs! Try lying on the leg of an engine crane and lifting a complete rear beam into place (car is a metre in the air) and fit the bolts at the same time - cant really be done, but by using boxes and my dirt bike stand, I managed to get it bolted up.

Next came the petrol tank, whilst nowhere near as heavy, you have the added complication of the various metal straps to fit at the same time. I toyed with balancing it on the jack and a stack of wood blocks but in the end I just shoved it into place and got enough of a strap fitted to hold it there, whilst I reached for more straps and bolts. It wasn't until I had it bolted up I realised that the fuel lines were not clipped in place under the tank. I guess most would have left them but I couldn't live with that so had to partially drop the tank again until I could get my hand in and clip the lines in place.

Handbrake cables were oiled/greased up and fitted, I've been to a local motor factors on the way to work and bought some exhaust hanger rubbers to hook up the exhaust....
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Muppet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:58 pm

its coming on mate

Volkswagens, Also useful as exercise device
Who Needs a Haynes Manual
I Hate Spammers :twisted:

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Re: MK2 16V Mk2 Golf Project

Postby regcheeseman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:58 am

Got home Tuesday night and found (as I often do) a diesel pump sat in a box waiting for attention.

Fair enough it means a bit of extra cash to spend on garage related tools, it was blowing a gale. freezing cold and rainy, I couldn't really muster a lot of enthusiasm for spending a couple of hours in a garage stripping and rebuilding a diesel pump.

How chuffed was I when I opened the box to find no diesel pump but some of the last few bits of the mk2 golf shaped jigsaw puzzle.
After discovering that my restored, rebuilt with new bearings and brushes alternator, wouldn't line up with the water pump or PAS pulleys, I'd decided to go for a ribbed belt setup and stuck a wanted ad on a couple of forums, Pauk_miester (caddy forum) came up with alt, bolts, bracket and water pump pulley, with dubmonkey (of no fixed abode) finding the tensioning spring, some more bolts and loom section.

Last night I cleaned up the bracket and alt and gave it a quick blast of rattle can INDASA silver and HB autoclear (both great stuff to use IMHO)

After cleaning up a couple of threads in the block I managed to get the (still tacky) bracket dropped into place

Need to find a bottom pulley now...hopefully pick one up locally on the weekend.

Got some more of the underside pieced back together - that's the fuel system complete.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:36 pm

I've missed a few updates (for what it's worth) so let me bring you up to speed...

Spent a few weeks trying to get the engine to run, to cut a long story short I ended up rebuilding the metering head

Got it a lot better, the injectors aren't good and the metering head has seen better days. Hopefully mk1mark from swdubs is gonna sort me out.

Managed to get it running, it wont idle or run below about 1500 rpm - but that can wait......

Started to strip the rest of the car to repair the windscreen surround, have to do something about the wiper mechanism, it's a genuine bonrath, not sure how they were originally made, but I'm sure it's not supposed to look like this, unless they use pigeons on the assembly line.

Do I swap a standard setup in or go for the 90's replica look?

set to the windscreen aperture, cleaned up a few rusty spots, cut out a couple of scabby holes and welded in some plates

Also tidied up he back edge of the plate that I fitted in the rear panel and then bilt hamber elecrox primered the repaired bits, ready for cavity wax next...

waxed the car with Bilt Hamber goodness, inner arches, sills and doors got a decent coat; messy job.

Turned my attention to paint prep, filled a couple of small dents and scratches, then un-rolled the drivers side front wing wheel arch and cleaned up the rust patches and primed. Then I turned my attention to the tailgate

One scabby patch needed investigation,

I removed the plastic bit above the number plate, the self tappers didn't feel too clever as I tried to undo them, wth the trim removed one scab turned into many

Time to whip out the knot wheel on the grinder and reveal the extent of the problems, the original scabby patch turned into holes

Few minutes and I'm left with a few patches to sort...
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Tonight the missus goes out, so I'm on parent duties = no garage time :(. So I find a job I can bring into the house without getting into (too much) trouble...

I'd already anticipated tonight's plan and painstakingly brushed off all the old foam backing from the huge krackabread

There are horror stories on the web of people trying to carry these huge krackabreads and getting caught out by a gust of wind and snapping the piece in two, predictably there were a few gusts as I tried to get the section from garage to house which had me dancing around the garden muttering 'no...no....no....no'

Thankfully I got to the house in one piece and after patching up a lot of cracks with metallised tape, I got out my speaker cloth and after a long search found the ironing board and tried to iron the fabric as per internet wisdom...

The iron melted the fabric and stuck itself up good and proper - so I left that and got out the contact adhesive...

some time later, I'm left with a fairly tidy result...
yeah I've done this shizzle once or twice before ;)

Just got to resurrect the iron, clean the glue off the floor and hide the evidence of my 'car stuff in the house' shenanigans ;)

By way of a reminder - this is what it did look like...
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby TawCottage » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:00 pm

Your labour of love is beginning to look good.........the end may not yet be in sight.......but your definitely getting there.

Keep up the good work and the piccies on here.

Steve
Life is not a rehearsal
TawCottage
Chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Glad that someone at least reads the guff I write up here, it may not look like it, but the end is most definitely in sight - officially the deadlineis end of August for VW Action but I'd like to have it done well before then..

Worked on the tailgate tonight, chopped out the rotten bits

Made up the patches, shaped to suit and with no more than a mm gap on any edge, takes a while to get them cut and shaped properly, a good hour to do the lot, hopefully it'll pay dividends when I weld them in
I'm not going to put the original square holes back in the panel because it's just prone to rusting again.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 pm

most definitely the very last of the welding...
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 pm

needs a skim of filler, especially the top left repair

Fillered and sprayed with filler primer

Tailgate still needs a couple little bits of filler
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 pm

A few weeks ago MK1Mark from SW Dubs sent me a package containing a metering head, lines, injectors among other goodies :D

Stripped new metering head of pipework

Metering pin gummed up :(

Sorted pin :)

wirebrushed, primed and painted.

new seals on injectors and swapped into engine

fitted metering head.

turned on ignition, fuel p-ing everywhere, fresh paint ruined. :(

sorted leaks

car starts, idles, picks up cleanly and revs like a mental case - it's gonna be fun to drive. :)

I nearly hooked up the clutch to take it for a quick spin and remembered I have no brakes at all - best not.

Ran the engine until it got fairly warm, reset the ignition timing then turned it off, loads of smoke billowing off the engine, think it was mostly from the wrapped manifold.

An hour or so later I went back out to the garage and tried again to start it

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7yj8M3ubio[/video]
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:09 am

Bell end of the year award goes to......

me.

egotist? yeah maybe, bellend? most definitely.

Just to bring others up to speed with the background of the story....

Several months ago, when I built my engine I found a head dowel left on the bench, because there are two in the engine between head and block, I thought that one in there would probably be ok....

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and now the engine is running and I find a single valve collet on the garage floor near the exhaust tailpipe.

Now, conceivably there's no way that the collet could have fallen out and worked through the exhaust, though there's this nagging doubt that it pinged out during assembly and remained undiscovered for a while.

I order head gasket and bolts

Paranoia gets the better of me so I decide to pull the cams out. Whilst I'm that far in the engine, it would be foolish not to remove the head and pop in the dowel I'd left out.

I order a pair of dowels

I remove the head, meanwhile BBB on caddy forum comes up with a theory that the 16v has a double ridge collet, there's a chance I could have determined that the rogue collet was not from my engine. Too late as the heads off, I wanted to sort the dowel issue out as well so not a complete waste of time...

I can't really see where my dowel actually fits, but I'm not too worried about that now - I'm sure it'll go in somewhere.

I remove the cams and find that all the collets are properly fitted

Refitting the cam caps, my torque wrench calibration is way out and I snap a stud

I order a stud.

I go in to VW this morning to collect the stud and the dowels, but there's been some mistake....

The one on the right is the one that's missing from my engine, the pair on the left are the ones that VW foolishly think are fitted between head and block

Yeah, a few of you are ahead of me by now....

The block dowels ARE the solid pins AND they are both in my engine.

All the work was completely avoidable and pointless.

However whilst the head was out I could sort the blow on the down pipe, there was a bodged on section between the down pipe and the rest of the system loosely held together with clamps. I got under the car and tacked the bits in place before removing anything, whilst underneath I was reminded I need to do the brake lines front to back and that there were a few sections of underneath that were only in primer and needed some schutz. (black rubbery underbody coating)

After removing the exhaust, I loaded the schutz gun and started, also doing the drivers side front wheel arch whilst I could, I was just about finished when I noticed a 3 in long rusty hole in the drivers sill - god knows how I'd missed that. I guess that's what happens when you work in a poorly lit garage with the car on the deck.

Out with the slit discs and cut out the rot
I've already cavity waxed the sills, so that's going to make the welding even more fun as the heat melt the wax, which contaminates the bit's I'm trying to weld
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Muppet » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:30 pm

That's funny I recognise the ones on the left which hold the head gasket in place but don't recognise the
One on the right.

On the abl you use sleeved bolt to allign the head correctly, guess its different on yours.

Comin on well mate
Who Needs a Haynes Manual
I Hate Spammers :twisted:

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:36 pm

On so it goes on.... Head back on, gearbox filled, clutch cable fitted, gearbox linkage aligned, final brake pipe made and fitted.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

PreviousNext

Return to Rides and Riders