MK2 16V Mk2 Golf Project

Post pictures of your VW's here and make sure you include a picture of yourself - Always good to put a name to a face at the meetings.

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

MK2 16V Mk2 Golf Project

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:45 pm

It was Tuesday afternoon (26 Feb) and I was idly browsing through a local car forum, foolishly I strayed into the classified section, cherry picking a few ads and I found this title halfway down the page.

"Oak Green 16V mk 2 Golf" - Oooh I think, the best Golf, in the best colour ....I wonder how much......'click'

Owner paid 2K for the car less than 12 months ago, took it apart, suffered an injury and now wants rid for £500.

All there (apparently) just needs putting back together, there's no wheels on the shell so it's tricky to collect.

There was a fair amount of initial interest, first and second dibs had gone, and with the ad over a week old, the first weekend had passed without a viewing or sale so to my mind all 'dibs' were now null and void.

So as not to bump the advert, I PM'ed the owner and told him I was was sorting out transport and would have the car and did he want a deposit there and then.
In the meantime I was ringing round mates trying to get a trailer or flatbed or whatever, 20 minutes later I get a call back from my mate Ross who has a mate called Snake that has a trailer but it's 25 miles away. The car itself is 40 miles away but roughly in the same direction. Google gives me a triangular route of 106 miles

I then contact my mate Crezz who is up for helping me out, Weds is a bit too soon, Thursday looks doable and the plan is starting to take shape.

I contact Tom the car's owner and inform him I'll be down on Thursday - in the meantime I have to fit a tow ball and electrics to the Delica, that's my job for Wednesday evening with the frost settling on the tools as I work.

Thursday can't come soon enough, I leave work at 4 and stop off at Lidl for a set of ratchet straps and a cargo net they have on special, pick up Crezz and set off for Snake's to collect the trailer and then on towards Exeter.

We got to Toms pretty much bang on 7 and it's dark, we are greeted by Tom and his mate and shown the car, including a huge amount of spares and extra bits, it looks a lot of car for the money. Tom has been busy, the car has wheels fitted but no track rods fitted.

Bit of a struggle getting the car on, with the widetrack being too wide for the ramps and the fact that each wheel could turn in any direction. With the car on the trailer I couldn't open the tailgate on the van, so I had to push the car back down the trailer a bit.

whilst I sorted out straps and stuff ;) everyone else loaded the delica up :)

There was recaros and standard seats, two seat of door cards, full stainless system, full polybush kit (still boxed), G60 arches, TSR four branch (still boxed) and loads of other aftermarket bits

I finally got home at around 11pm, parked up, locked the van and left it - hoping it didn't rain as the (electric) window was down on the Golf.

The car itself seems pretty tidy - some oafish idiot put that dent in the side trying to nudge it across the trailer..... ahem. Any idea how best to pop it out - I tried earlier as the rear cards are out and you can push it out but it pops back again.

Not so good from the front, all the bits are there (hopefully) - what to fit in the hole though......petrol or diesel?

Here it is about 9 months ago - happier times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday evening and I finished unloading the van, as I never loaded the bits on so was pretty amazed with what I've found, aside from what appears to be a complete car (less steering wheel) I've also got the following

two extra power racks
three different right hand rear door cards
full set of FK coilovers
pair of sparco seats....... edit - they're recaros and blooming nice too.
full stainless scorpion system + centre box delete pipe
TSR manifold downpipe thing
full poly bush kit
there were loads of unopened parcels with spares, paints, tools etc
set of new rear discs
powder coated new water pump with low temp something or other in it (stat??)

I've yet to get the car unloaded, there's even more inside that!

On the bad side, there's a 3 inch rusty hole in the sill in front of the rear wheel and a poor patch, few scabs of rust on arches, couple of small dints and the idiot dent in the rear quarter. Oh and some one has pulled the door handle out of the passenger door in the past.

May well keep it 16V petrol for the time being - I can always build a rip snorting densil at a later date....

The passenger window was down and I thought it might well be a problem, jumpered a small battery onto the window motor and it works just fine. Nice!

There's a cobra alarm and electric central locking fitted but no fob, I know the central locking can be a bit iffy, but is there any reason not to get it working and rip out the non standard locking and alarm setup. The wiring looks a bit gash, taped up wires and scotchlocks - I'm hoping it's just all alarm related

--------------------------------------------------------

The weekends activities....were somewhat limited by the promise of "of course I'll get the building work finished in the sitting room and not just leave that stack of blocks there for months on end dear"

I dropped the Golf off the trailer and took the trailer back, then I could empty out the car which was full of interior bits, a lot of door cards - 3 or four offside rears???
Amongst the bits there were a few gems...

Sony head unit, still boxed, same unit as I bought for the caddy and the golf.
Cobra alarm fob
full lock set with keys
complete shift rebuild kit and two weighted shifters
finding that the car is on FK coilovers already

offset with more low points -

water has got in at some point, damp in footwells and a hole in passenger floor
a previous owner didn't appreciate the principle of jacking points, floorpan and sills bear several nasty scars and dents
headlining is hanging down on both sides in the back of the car, dunno why, but it looks like it is too small to fit back - might be ok when the lining warms up a bit and can be stretched.

oh and something I hated about the previous golf, needing a small jack to get my big jack in and out. stupid "I've stanced* my car" lows!

Righto question time for them that might know... the car at the moment has a powdercoated front sub frame and rack fitted with polybushes, this subframe has the five stud hubs attached.
Is this subframe particular to the widetrack setup or are they the same as standard? Can I fit the four stud bits to the five stud subrame and if so what bit, just the hubs, the hub carrirs, the wishbones or the whole subframe if I switch back to standard setup.

If I do stay with widetrack, what about the rear end, do I need a wide rear beam?

*wrecked
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby murraymint » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Mmmmmmmmm, I'd love one of those! 8) nice find!
murraymint
Chat Virgin

Postby Muppet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeettt!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Now theres an idea, Tiled garage 8) 8)

ain't never gonna happen
Who Needs a Haynes Manual
I Hate Spammers :twisted:

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby regcheeseman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Thought I'd better get some more pictures up, mostly to show the bits I need to address, first up, the inside and that rear turret needs a bit of work

And for some reason the headlining is hanging down on both sides? Is this a usual problem or possibly a job half started by a previous owner?

The floor itself, whilst a little 'jack' modified seems solid apart from the pasenger side which will get another patch

This is hanging down in the passenger foot well - any ideas, I thought it might have beeen wipers?

This will be ripped out as well, that or I wire it properly without horrendous pre insulated connectors - uuurrrgh!

No smoothing or anything this time, just tidy it up and fill the void

Arches need some work all round but this seems to be the worst, few patches in and out needed here

Finally, one of the few areas of body rot, under a rear window seal, window has to come out anyway so I'll deal with it then. Hopefully I'll be able to address this small blemish without it ending up as a complete re-spray
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Globbits » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Looks like you've done well there!
The saggy headlining seems to be a standard failing - my old MkII GTi had the same problem and it looks like the MkIII Passat I just picked up is showing signs too :( I guess the glue they used wasn't very forgiving!
Krustybarn quotes:
It'll be fine
F*&k off it will! (in front of 8-yr old "assistant")
No Carl. Seriously No!
We're gonna need a ton of filler
Globbits
Dad

Postby regcheeseman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:35 am

Time for a bit of progress, I managed to get the driveshafts off without destroying any bolts and pulled the gearbox clear of the subframe

With a bit of a fight the callipers came off as well, the discs proved less of a challenge as only the callipers held them on, but that did leave two snapped remnants of disc mounting bolts left in the hub to give me something to swear at on a later date.

The discs are 256's, there are larger ones still fitted to the widetrack on the car which as 5 studs will not be much use but I guess I can use the calipers on the 4 stud hub carriers and fit some new discs, are the 356 callipers useful for anything as an upgrade?

Meanwhile I was reminded why I hate restoring cars as I wasted an hour of my life with the jizer and a toothbrush working the crud off the gearbox.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Set about the engine, soon managed to have that broke. This was made easier and yet harder at the same time by the previous owner. On initial inspection it looked at though all the ancillaries had been undone and were sat loosely in place in readiness for a rebuild. When in reality it appears that all the screws that remained were the seized ones. Obviously someone had a go with the wrong tool and nicely rounded off most, loosing me any chance of saving the day with some penetrating oil, an impact driver and getting medieval.

Found this little problem in the shape of a missing power steering pump mount, not quite sure how to tackle this yet

The gearbox came up quite nice, not sure how to remove the discolouration or do I just hit it with some silver paint?

Another issue I have is with the engine mount on the subframe, the widetrack mk3 subframe fitted has a welded on cup like this
The rubber mount drops into the cup.

The subframe the engine was attached to has a bolted on cup assembly but the rubber mount is part of the whole bolt up cup bit

I need a mount that drops into the cup but suits my motor? Any ideas?
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Whilst digging through a box of poly mounts that came with the car, I found a few other extras in the box including a rather tasty billet bracket, CNC milled with the BBR logo
What is it for?

I thought I'd managed to empty most of the contents of the sump n the driveway - then proceed to walk it all over the carpet - but oh no, the sodding thing dumped another couple of litres all over the garage when I tried to manhandle it up onto the engine stand.
They always look small, once stripped of all the bits.

Any idea on the bore of KRs, 9As and ABFs? and are these standard?

And to finish... some racks
One of the two fine spline mk2 racks will get cleaned and bolted onto the mk3 subframe in place of the widetrack coarse spline rack.

The mk3 subframe has two longer brackets sticking out from behind the ARB mounts - do I just cut them on the white dashed line?
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Muppet » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi ya

Looks like the pistons are standard ABF's as per this link

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?2 ... -Storm-16v

But Vagcat does not list ABF for a 1990 golf? thats because its a 1992-1994 ish
with 82.5 std pistons

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:15 pm

It was like christmas at cheesetowers today, first up these babies turned up for £48 (cheers Crezz)

I went down the beach with the boys and when I got back a stack of four parcels were waiting for me, the epitome of scene?

Not just possibly one of the most scene rims but all the other scene requisites are there
Stretch? - yep
Cheapo tyres ruined early in their life by camber? - yep
Wrecked sidewalls from scrubbing on arches? - yep

Also cleaned the rusty patch up on the motor enough to reveal three letters A...B...F. yay!

So yep muppet, it is at least a later bottom end from a mk3 Much preferred over the earlier
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 pm

The running gear was pretty manky, a bit of aggro getting the back plates off, needing two studs drilling out, the others succumbed to some penetrating oil, heat and welding on washers to turn them

I cut the extra bits off the back of the subframe and chopped off the resonator bracket, stipped the calipers and then hours of work with a knot wheel in the grinder and wire brush in a drill to get other bits de-rusted.

Weather was half decent for a change today when I got home from work today, I finished off de-rusting and then turned to my favourite epoxy mastic, was getting dark by the time I reached for the camera, so I apoogise for the pictures, but something is better than nothing..

The rack didn't look too bad until the pressure washer knocked off a fair bit of paint, so that got a blow over

The subframe was pretty tidy but the areas that had received some grinder action needed paint, the wishbones seem brand new, but they got a coat as well, because there was spare in the gun

Calipers, carriers and WBH's hanging from the ceiling to dry
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Muppet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:44 pm

I Need a bigger garage :cry:

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby Globbits » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Why do you think we bought a farm? :D
Krustybarn quotes:
It'll be fine
F*&k off it will! (in front of 8-yr old "assistant")
No Carl. Seriously No!
We're gonna need a ton of filler
Globbits
Dad

Postby JOE » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:39 pm

this is coming along very nice to :D
JOE
Water Cooled W.A.N.C.er

Postby regcheeseman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:05 pm

I bought a plating kit from classic plating and was a little daunted by the chemistry involved and setting up the various tanks and left it on the side for a bit, but having already stripped the bits I was worried they'd start to rust again so decided to bite the bullet.

The bits as cleaned with a wire brush on a bench grinder

First up I organise a couple of tanks for the acid pickle and the yellow passivate then build the plating tank and fill it with two lots of chemicals, the starter and the brightener and roped a old power supply into action.

Then made some hooks up, pickled a few bits for 5 minutes, rinsed them and put them in the tank

Once plated (5 - 20 minutes), rinse then a dip in the passivate before a final rinse, the instructions suggested 20 - 50 seconds for the passivate but they were too yellow and got re-pickled and plated again before settling on a passivate dip of 2-5 seconds.

A few hours later and I was very pleased with the end results

Here I have a couple of bolts fitted, I've also added the gearbox mount into the picture to show the difference between epoxy mastic finishes - both are Jotamastic, the hub and caliper pained on a cold day and the bracket painted on a hotter sunny day
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Next

Return to Rides and Riders