Mk1 Golf Driver project....

Post pictures of your VW's here and make sure you include a picture of yourself - Always good to put a name to a face at the meetings.

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Postby Globbits » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Looking good as always!
Am curious to see what the score is with the turbo - I guess there's a boost sensor controlling the vanes?
Interested in building another tweaked AAZ....? :)
Krustybarn quotes:
It'll be fine
F*&k off it will! (in front of 8-yr old "assistant")
No Carl. Seriously No!
We're gonna need a ton of filler
Globbits
Dad

Postby SiC » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:38 pm

rear end = 8)
SiC
40 Dubs and Counting!!!!

Postby regcheeseman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Am curious to see what the score is with the turbo - I guess there's a boost sensor controlling the vanes?

boost sensor, throttle sensor, vane position sensor, engine speed sensor and a home made microchip based circuit doing the maths :wink:
half the hours spent on this project have been in the VNT controller

Interested in building another tweaked AAZ....?
could be...let me finish this'un first
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 am

Bored of waiting for bits to turn up and needing to get into the loft I had to take the car off the stack of blocks it's sat on for 2 weeks and get it out of the garage.

Certainly sits a bit better with some weight in the front

With the loft sorted and rain threatening I tried to push the car away again. (here's where I start collecting scene points by the bucketload)

It wont go back in the garage, the less than 2" tall step up is whacking the sump, I ended up fashioning ramps to put it away.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:51 am

Had an amusing occurance sunday night in the garage, it's gone one am and I'm under the car sizing up exhaust parts, I think I just blinked for a second and when my eyes opened it's 2am and I'm blooming cold. Must get proper sleep.... :lol:

Last night I've been on it though. Finished the first stage of the exhaust, just got to add the hangers and tidy it up a bit.
2.5" from turbo to rear beam (and potential for a straight through to side exit pipe ;))
And then a 2" system and token silencer box and discreet turndown exit - no fart cannons here

All in stainless, the manky bit is an pre-used section cut from an old downpipe but it'll clean up like the rest
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Muppet » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:36 pm

regcheeseman wrote: I think I just blinked for a second and when my eyes opened it's 2am and I'm blooming cold. Must get proper sleep.... :lol:

Awsome mate, Time fly's in the blink of an Eye
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who Needs a Haynes Manual
I Hate Spammers :twisted:

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby regcheeseman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Exhaust is finished and wrapped, had to make a bracket to keep the gearchange cables out the way.
Wired the turbo sensors, made the cables for the VNT
Fitted the spangly new clutch hose - thanks to http://www.helcarkits.co.uk/

regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Re-birthing my tired looking seats

If you remember, I bought some seats...

Started off by trying to rejuvenate what I had already but I wasn't 100% on the results,

also the back bench wouldn't fit and the fronts needed the centre rail changing on the runners

I annoyed Andy (ART1234) some more and came away with a hanging mk1 rear bench and front seats, they got stripped and cut up for bits, the rear frame was rusty and needed plates welding on.
Then I dismantled the rocco seats and was left with a large pile of various seat components.
I tried various combinations of parts to see what might fit or be made to fit before coming up with a plan....

After I unpicked the worn and faded center panels from all my 'rocco covers I took them to a local upholsterer, he made up new centres and sewed them in, and then he replaced another section with a small fag burn - and as he had some vinyl left, he replaced the side sections on the rear seat back because they had holes in them for the (now defunct) scirocco mounting hardware. The holes were not visible with the seats fitted but you 'know' they are there and he obviously takes pride in his work.
To cap it all, he was doing them for a good price but 'in between jobs' and had told me they would take about four weeks, so I figured six before I started to nag him.
He phoned me within 3 weeks to come and collect them.

So a big thumbs up to

Matt - Moreton Upholstery, Bideford
moretonupholstery@fsmail.net

The rear seat I've built is a hybrid, the foam is mk1 golf, the frame is mostly mk1 golf with a few mods to allow the 'rocco covers to fit, I could have used the rocco foams, but they are really thin with no density - the Golf ones are about 6" thicker and slightly smaller - the upshot of this is the 'rocco covers need some stretching to fit but eventually they were coaxed into place.
The clips are holding the cover in place while the glue dries, not normally glued but the cover was threatening to ping off as it's only just tucked in.
Quite often the seat backs on a mk1 are covered in a bubbly shrunk scruffy vinyl, I freshened mine up with a layer of carpet left over from trimming the boot area.
The fronts very pretty straightforward to recover and were soon back together
Not sure if the blue one will fit though.

The rear bench went back in no bother and I'm proper chuffed, even the missus was impressed.

I also hooked up the alt, the oil cooler and the radiator was sat in place to measure up for a bracket.... getting there!
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 pm

:D IT RUNS! :D
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Muppet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm

regcheeseman wrote:Image

:D IT RUNS! :D

got worried for a moment, thought you was taking a last photo before the Fire Brigade turned up

Nice one, its good when they start after a rebuild :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who Needs a Haynes Manual
I Hate Spammers :twisted:

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby Flame Haired Warrior » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:33 pm

QUALITY!!!! What's it sound like?
72 1200 bug (Amy's wheels really)
T25 Syncro
72 Bay (Next Project)
GP Ranchero (not next project)
Flame Haired Warrior
LeftHanded Ginger Urangutan

Postby regcheeseman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 am

like a diesel.....pretty damn awful ;)

It wouldn't rev, but at idle it was fairly quiet for a tuned pump indirect injection diesel so I can probably advance the pump up a fair bit.

It started well whilst not 'on the button', it's a hybrid low compression engine and they are known to be tricky to fire, so I'm well happy.

let me get some coolant in the system - missing a rad hose

AND get the diesel connected properly - running from small tank suspended from ceiling (a good trick)

AND get the turbo connected - cooloer pipes arrived yesterday

AND stem the oil leak from the cooler - fitting was loose

Then I'll make a video,

the exhaust is a bit fruity but nowhere near annoying impreza/saxo levels.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm

IT RUNS! :D
Ok - not clean but it runs. I'll get the radiator fitted properly and filled. And get the brake and clutch bled.

I put the easy bleed on and virtually every under-car copper join leaked, some were just loose but the ones round the rear beam refused to seal.
I had to lift the car and drop the rear beam to get access and ended up remaking the near side copper line 3 times before I got it to seal.
Everytime I pressurise the system it leaks and fluid gets everywhere, in my hair, my clothes urrrgh rank. :(
But I'm not happy with the seal, so I'll have flexis made that go straight to the wheel cylinder and eliminate an iffy join and a nasty bend radius on the pipe.

After getting soaked in brake fluid trying to get the lines to seal, the system finally holds some pressure so the easy bleed pops it's seal on the master cylinder cap and blows a load of fluid down the back of the engine bay. :evil:

I lost a few scene points next by winding 10 mm into my coilovers, this is probably a scene crime so I'm expecting a vist from a few lads with woolly hats/silly tats to come and try and ruff me up with 2 BBS' and a chrome bumper.
Invariably they are a bunch of wiry runts built like 14 year old girls so they'll pose little actual threat.

Back with the golf, all the hydraulics nicely bled, I cleaned everything up and packed away before realising that I'd forgotten to bleed the clutch.
It had a few bubbles but there is no pressure at the pedal, there was nothing else to do but pull the inlet manifold and get to the clutch master cylinder - it turns out to be seized, that was removed last night. :roll:

Also the diesel pump wont,
It starts and idles, that's about it.
clicky video...
I suspect the vanes have stuck from it being sat so long, so that has been stripped and filled with ATF, hopefully that might free off the vanes.

On the upside, I have brakes and a handbrake that works. :D

Guessing the pump is at fault but can't wait for the ATF to maybe maybe not free up the possibly jammed vanes in the lift pump.

I root around the cheeseman spare pumps box and pull out a standard unknown status pump from a 1.9 NA pump with bits missing.
A quick skeg inside to confirm most of the pump bits are still there, they are! Swap the pumps over in 20 mins, just guessed at timing.

No inlet manifold, no boost. I force primed the pump using a small header tank from a motorbike and blew into the top to pressurise it.

injector line unions slack at the injectors and crank for about 40 secs to get diesel spraying out, then tightened them.....

Video
:D

It sucked my aux tank dry in twenty seconds, the other pump didn't - not even close.

Money is on the vane pump, do I swap the bits onto this rough looking pump or do I repair the minty original....
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Globbits » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 pm

That's a properly lumpy idle after it's revved, but that sounds nicely responsive! You must be chuffed to bits with it already :)
Krustybarn quotes:
It'll be fine
F*&k off it will! (in front of 8-yr old "assistant")
No Carl. Seriously No!
We're gonna need a ton of filler
Globbits
Dad

Postby regcheeseman » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:46 pm

I was pleased with the way it responds, there's no inlet manifold and no boost hoses fitted yet!

the idle is down to the fact the pump is slapped on, not timed, it had no throttle linkage and therefore no idle stop.

I've rebuilt my minty pump last night, completely, all the internals out!

Vane pump was gummed, it's now cleaned and reassembled and refitted - I'll give it another run tonight....
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

PreviousNext

Return to Rides and Riders