Mk1 Golf Driver project....

Post pictures of your VW's here and make sure you include a picture of yourself - Always good to put a name to a face at the meetings.

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Postby regcheeseman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:06 pm

I'd set myself a deadline of RR11 and Caddy Camping - it was a close thing...

The countdown to RR

Two weeks before....

Turned the pump down a bit to get rid of the soot and retarded the pump, it wouldn't run

Retimed (advanced) the pump and it still ran a bit rough with loads of white smoke so I added some more advance.

It ran quit well and took it for a spin, seemed pretty good- quicker low down but lacking the mental thrust I had earlier this week.

Then I realised a boost pipe was sat on the bench so it had no boost, should have the best of both worlds with that back plumbed in.

Only problem no was oil dripping out all over the sump, hopefully the gasket isn't sat right.

Knocked a few more jobs off the list today and resprayed the tailgate and bonnet - didn't go too well. Fisheyes on the bonnet and the prep on he tailgate was rushed - also the masking lifted and bled onto my black vinyl window surround.

Tuesday 16th (4 days to go)

crapola.

With the threat of a 100 mile drive as it's first outing, I decided I couldn't take a chance on the pump as it was.

So about 12:30 last night I decided to pull the pump and swap the 10mm head for a 9mm one.

By 2:30am it was stripped on the bench.

My boss sent me home early today so I cracked on with the pump and got it built, then the kids came home and I got sidelined with making dinner, running a bath, making the beds, reading stories and other manly things.

It was nearly nine when I was ready to bleed the pump, but it wont 1 and 3 spit a bit, 2 and 4 are dry.

It nearly starts but not quite, if it would start the pump would clear in a few minutes - I think it's grease used for the assembly that is blocking things up

MOT and caddy camping/retro rides is slowly slipping away If it wont fire tomorrow it's game over.

I've been messing with the VNT controller tonight. It'll now cycle through the initialisation program and get to running mode.

There's no signal from the throttle position sensor so I've got to remove the circuit board and find out why not because the sensor is working fine.

It's measuring boost fine so damn close to working.

All irrelevant if the engine wont run, I'm hoping that leaving it sat overnight will soften the grease used for assembly and it'll push through the pump, if that doesnt work I'll swap the delivery nozzles out - it that doesn't work I'm looking at pulling the pump and there just isn't the time to do that.

Weds 17th 3 days....

BOO YAA - it runs, and better than ever :thumbs_up

done the tracking, it had 4 degrees of toe in - now it has 0.5 degree of toe out

Just have to get the wipers sorted, I've a spare set but it's a dash out job to swap them. I've swapped relays and the fault remains....

Thursday 18th 2 days

The brace, because the original was removed when the scuttle was scened, I put a brace backwards, bolted up under dash.

However the motor came out without removing the mechanism, thankfully I noticed the wiring was wrong and corrected that before toasting another motor - it had worked ok but slow was very fast and fast was slow.

Anyway - all sorted, now to fit the dash.

Finally finished at 3am friday morning, MOT in a bit.....

FRIDAY - MOT DAY - Caddy camping tomorrow!

Booked a half day, hurried home to get to the MOT station

it never failed the MOT

it never made the MOT.

Just leaving the drive, doing up the seatbelt and it pops open, I stop try it again, nope.
I try it in the passenger side clip, same problem.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH I've got golf belts and caddy clips.

Nevermind, not to waste my spare afternoon I adjusted the camber and did the tracking, making up a rig womble style.

Off to Andy's tonight to find some more clips, then MOT in the morning.......

Andy is harvesting so I left it as late as possible, and got there about 10.

SATURDAY - MOT DAY and Caddy camping day

With the MOT booked for 11 I left early, got about 4 miles and the engine noise seemed terminal, I turned around and started home again... thinking about 20VT conversions.
The noise subsided, so I did another U turn and headed for MOT.

The only instrument working on the dash is the charge light, the coolant temperature and the clock (which is showing the wrong time)

The only prob with the MOT was nothing reading on the rear nearside brake, the tester whipped the drum off, saw it was all new, adjusted the handbrake and said ' it'll get better as you drive it' and then issued an MOT. :)

Now to get tax......the insurance docs haven't arrived, not on email at home or work either and it's not showing on ASKMID - no tax and no breakdown recovery details either.

I set off for Caddy camping, and met a mate in his Jetta.

Out on the road, the golf is OK, the coilovers ride is harsh, the tyre noise immense - but the stereo works (well, the USB sticks fall out),
It's pootling along nice, gearing is a bit low.

Meanwhile the Jetta is doing it's best to remove catseyes, it can't roll with ease in the slow lane because the hump in the middle of the road is scuffing the sump - so he is sat in the middle lane at just over 70 and getting all sorts of stares and hassle.

The Golf isn't so silly low and is fine, my drink bottle appeared to have leaked in the footwell a bit but that is the only mishap so far.

I pick up an apple that has rolled on the floor and chomp it happily.......it's a bit old and tastes funny but it'll do.

Several hours later, the Jetta low on juice and scraping it's way along b roads we find the campsite, it's now pitchblack..

A few minutes later I discover why my apple tasted odd, the heater pipes are dripping into the footwell; mmmmmmmm glycolly!

A further few minutes, the pipes are pulled out into the engine bay and the heater deleted, and I get the bonus of the hottest shower on the campsite.

Tents were put up

We were asked to move them

Some burgers were eaten

We were told to be quiet

Star Wars and then Lego were dissed - no one really cared for Star Wars.

Then off to bed.

Only to be woken early by two jovial fellows in the next tent finding much amusement in making a cup of tea at 5 am

Soon enough we were all packed and ready to head out to retro rides, my engine setup can be a tad smoky first thing,

I really pity the family that were enjoying alfresco breakfast slightly downwind.

A mile down the road and it's running clean, being chased by caddys to Prescott.

I arrived at the gate just as Muttley racing arrived out of the camping field with the teenage dirtbag on their tail.

Finally I'm in the gate - mission complete!..............until;

The journey home,

Both of us had kids to get back to and cars with character so decided to bail out early - just in case.

I'd retimed my diesel pump during the afternoon and it started without too much smoke but clacked 'a bit'

Still progress was fine until this lumbering old car in front slowed me down,

Heading towards Brizol and the temp gauge was very, very slowly creeping up, the red light then started to flicker on and I was looking for somewhere to stop, the next junction was Cribbs Causeway and with a female in the convoy there was no way I'd risk stopping there so I limped to Gordano.

She slurped 3+ litres of water with ease
Luke noticed the front of his car was covered with black dots which we (incorrectly) assumed was diesel.

Then I knocked the pump back a touch - concerned that the timing was causing the temperature to rise. On the journey up the temp hadn't budged even with some of the coolant swilling around the passenger footwell.

Then we gingerly set off again, as the miles racked up (well they didn't on my broke speedo) I became confident that the running temperature was fine and began to play with the whistle under the bonnet.

Had a bit of fun charging up the devon hills at the national speed limit, then the temp started to climb again.
We stopped within a few miles of home and I chucked another litre in the rad and set off again.

I rolled up at home, banging head, lay down for 20 minutes then got up to throw up - damn you hot weather!

It wasn't until I went out to the car a few hours later that I noticed a problem. A rather large pool of oil under the car and a nice thick trail down the length of the drive and down the road too.

A quick check and the turbo feed was cracked, this was soon fixed to reveal the main source of the leak, the filter had started to unscrew as well.
Thankfully it happened where it did as with no oil light I could have easily ran it dry.

So that's it - the epic shakedown run, I've now a huge list of niggles/issues to sort out - should be done for next year.

Washed it today and took a few snaps

regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby jimbob » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 pm

love it 8) :lol:
oops
jimbob
W.A.N.C.er

Postby BO JANGLES » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:36 pm

8) Cool well done mate 8)
BO JANGLES
Trophy Hunter!

Postby Flame Haired Warrior » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:11 pm

That is looking so so damned good. Nice one
72 1200 bug (Amy's wheels really)
T25 Syncro
72 Bay (Next Project)
GP Ranchero (not next project)
Flame Haired Warrior
LeftHanded Ginger Urangutan

Postby regcheeseman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Few tweaks needed after the shakedown.

swapping to a two notch gasket instead of a three.

add a cold start advance mech from a 1.6 pump to the 1.9 pump body

All this to get rid of the smoke at start-up and be able to run more power friendly timing setting.

Found a couple of problems, whilst pulling the head, water pump bolts were very loose, pump bracket bolts loose and the inlet manifold has 3 bolts fitted instead of 6.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby Globbits » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:36 am

Congratulations! Sounds like your shakedown run was actually quite painless (my view is it can't have been that bad if the car doesn't come home on a low-loader :D )

So how does it actually perform then? If the gearing's "a bit low", is the problem that you're running out of revs before you run out of grunt? How's the bonnet-whistle? :)

Richard
Krustybarn quotes:
It'll be fine
F*&k off it will! (in front of 8-yr old "assistant")
No Carl. Seriously No!
We're gonna need a ton of filler
Globbits
Dad

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:51 am

Congratulations! Sounds like your shakedown run was actually quite painless (my view is it can't have been that bad if the car doesn't come home on a low-loader

Yep, for scratch built with so many untested bits it was a leap of faith that could have gone badly wrong.

I was mostly worried about the home welded steels,

a: being horrendously out of balance

b: seperating again at oohshyte mph.

So how does it actually perform then? If the gearing's "a bit low", is the problem that you're running out of revs before you run out of grunt? How's the bonnet-whistle?

Gearings a bit low in that 2nd gear is fine as first and it'll pull up the hills on the link road out of tiverton to the redline in 5th ;)

The bonnet whistle is very very very addictive, I find myself booting it at completely inappropriate moments - then it gathers speed quick.

It's not right yet though, there's more to come.....
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby jason gallagher » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:45 pm

just spotted this on e bay
all i realy wanted was a hot rod
jason gallagher
Chat slut

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 pm

yep, damn inflation, it's gone up £1500 in 10 months :roll:

I doubt it'll go anywhere soon at that price.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby FASTY72 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:01 pm

On the road woohoo !!!!!!!!!!
FASTY72
Thunder Pants

Postby regcheeseman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:38 pm

relisted again! Despite it ending at a price more than he paid for it IIRC - not a big fan of greedy people despite the disclaimer to that fact in the listing.

Some nice photos though which I'll have.
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Postby FASTY72 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 am

On Again and up in price again ! Moved to Bournemouth now ! :shock:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volkswagen ... 6961016%26
On the road woohoo !!!!!!!!!!
FASTY72
Thunder Pants

Postby Muppet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Looks like his garage has seen loads of work in there.
Must take him Weeks to get it that clean after a VW has been in there for 5 mins

and he has a pic out side Regcheesemans Garage :shock:
Who Needs a Haynes Manual
I Hate Spammers :twisted:

96 T4
69 Manx Buggy
Muppet
Seasoned Slat Chut

Postby regcheeseman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:39 pm

he carefully didn't include a picture of the passenger side to show the fact the door is obviously a different shade of white.

Not keen on people trying to make a fast buck, he's hoping it doesn't sell again for a while, but he has taken a deposit apparently
regcheeseman
Wanna be chat slut

Previous

Return to Rides and Riders