1970 Bay Westfalia Campmobile, San Lorenzo, California

Post pictures of your VW's here and make sure you include a picture of yourself - Always good to put a name to a face at the meetings.

Moderators: SiC, JOE, Jamie, Paul, Muppet, Ian

Postby aogrady » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi,

OK, this is the final treatment of the Westy's undersides. UPOL Raptor Truck Bed Liner. Choose this instead of normal stone chip because, well, it's better! It seems to have many advantages over normal stone chip, and certainly seems a more permanent option. It can be tinted with any colour paint, i went for body colour, much quicker than waiting for stone chip to go off, and then painting with top coat, it only needs a maximum of 10% top coat, just fill, shake and shoot it on. Done, no reactions as you may get with normal stone chip, as the solvents can react and cause the top coat paint not to stick

Got it from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-pol-Raptor- ... 19cb5914f8

Bob @ Restohaus did the work for me again, I requested to leave the running gear, axle, suspension etc in the black 2 pack coat we used last time, and concentrate the UPOL onto the wheel arches, belly pans and chassis areas, giving a good coverage on the arches and belly pans especially.

Went on really well, got all wheel arches covered, bellypans chassis area, front chassis and bellypan, will need some more to do the rear battery trays, and the middle rectangle where the heat tube goes, with another kit, there would be more than enough, i only really need maybe 2 ltrs max.

Mixed with pearle white, one shot job, better option than stone chip and then top coat. Nice finish, but could be adjusted with more or less gun pressure no doubt. It has "give" in the feel on the surface, a little like wine gums, midget gems, jelly babys, so not a solid coat, this will help resist stone chips and knocks, the colour seems well bonded into the coating, and doesn't seem to crack, though i haven't pressed too hard!

It seems quite thick in the consistency, and may well aid some element of soundproofing according to the spec of the product:

U-pol Raptor Kit - contains 4 x Raptor Tintable & 1 x Activator

U-POL's top-class super-tough durable 2-pack urethane coating against rust, corrosion, salt, damp and extreme temperatures.
Restores even the most worn and uneven truck beds or van floor to new pristine-look finish.
Dries rapidly to give scratch and stain-proof surface that is also U.V. resistant.
High adhesion, waterproof, flexible, helps deaden sound & vibrations.
Easy and quick to use, as simple as: FILL - SHAKE - SHOOT®

Kits contain 4 x 750ml bottles of base and 1 x 1L of hardener - you can add up to 10% solvent basecoat tinter to colour match to the item you are coating

Enough material to re-spray the largest truck beds.
Apply with schutz gun, roller or brush to obtain different textures.

Also available in Black

http://www.u-pol.co.uk/product-cat/83/r ... -liner.htm

Here are some pictures:

On with the next job. Wiring, and new interior wood.......

Cheers

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:23 am

Nothing got done today due to the weather. :roll: So washed it just as the rain started

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:13 am

Got a few NOS bits to fit (via leaving in the garage for ages no doubt...)

1970 US spec indicator relay. will replace the non original one wired in Maybe the tell tale will work.

And this too:

NOS German steering coupling. I have a nice early bay steering box, painted, ready to fit.

Sometime

Cheers!

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:15 am

Hi!

OK, now the undersides have been finished under the rear, nearside battery tray seam sealed, and Raptor with the L87 used inside and out. The middle section, chassis, heater tube etc all finished off, and the last bit just on the inside of the bumper ends. About 10 litres tintable Upol Raptor now on top of the epoxy resin and molecular rust converter. Underneath done. :!:

Will post up the obligatory pictures when i finish cleaning it properly

I am having a think on my interior - now i bought some new wood panels to retrim, and I'm still keen to fit the tan leather Momo seats I liberated from a Alfa. They are just placed inside, i need to modify the frames a little.

These are the samples I have been looking at.

There is a diamond pattern, or tuck and roll style in the pictures, my thoughts are diamond pattern, either red or black, probably black to go with the tan. I have the chrome door handles and winders, so think this will go well with the black and tan. I also want to retrim the westy bed and buddy seat in the same colour as the door cards. I'll also make make up a bit to fit in the`center section of the`front seats to hide the alfa logo. Though with the alfa seats having tuck roll style senters, maybe`would look better like that?

What do you think?

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:35 am

Hi,

OK, so finished off a bit more of my T Max split charge system. It comes with everything you need, including the power cable, but I bought some 25mm section multiflex wire to run from one battery to another, and from the solenoid to battery, this will minimise any voltage drop. This is probably nearly twice as thick as supplied, so overkill. I have some 16mm to run on the inside to the fridge to replace the thinner (but adequate) cable (but when interior is out) You can see that the 25mm cable is thicker than the stock power cable, so will replace battery to starter cable another day.

I had recently purchased a proper battery crimper tool, so proceededto cutback, crimp, and heatshrink the fittings. Ta-da!

Meanwhile, at t'other end....

I bought a extra 5 meter pack of different coloured 0.75mm cabling to extend the standard length which came with the T Max, cut, soldered and heatshrinked.

Here is the unit in place, just affixed to the screws on the firewall cover. I think i will drill and use a large self tapper, it is very slightly loose, and i haven't found some plastic sheet to fit behind at curve around the corner of the solenoid to insulate the end power supply bolts, as they are close to the bulkhead. I used some rubber self amalgamating tape to seal the "+" connectors away from the "-" body.

And the power connectors to the leisure battery, note, i still need to cable ties things away nicely

Main starter battery

So, just for the time being, (till i get round to building my hidden in the westy wardrobe control box) tempory posistion of the solar regulator and the T Max control box

Once the box has seen the charging voltage rise above 13.3, both batterys are automatically linked together when charging, display of charging voltage being shown on the box. Both battery voltages can be shown on the display, and you can manually link both batterys for extra power if needed, like if the starter battery bank was flat. Though my leisure battery isn't really suited to be used as a cranking battery, but if i was stuck, nice to know i can link.

Both batterys are also isolated when not charging. The system works well, and is rated at 180A for the switching solenoid. The voltage shown on the solar regulator is the charging voltage seen on the leisure battery

It's a temporary setup, and i still intend to fit the 210aH deep cycle bank i have, but need to take out the interior to run the cables properly, so another day this job, as i use the bus most days, dont want it off the road (though it wouldn't matter for a few days)

I'll tidy up the wiring, maybe re-route it and protect from any rubbing, fit new grommets on things, I'll also fuse it, though the standard charging system isn't.

That's it for now.

Cheers,

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi All!

Hope everyone had a good Xmas/Holiday etc.

As usual, Xmas came and went, famiily and kids, did the usual, found a little break in the proceedings to fit my nice new curtains, courtesy of Myvanway from earlybay forum, he posted the "curtain build thread" here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php ... 37&start=0

Didn't take long to fit, but the tailgate curtains are a little tight, made getting the alloy rail screws on tricky, but it was dark, and the screws are small.... :roll: But i guess they are like this so they dont sag...

Anyway, you all know what they look like, but just in case you dont, here are my replica Westfalia curtains:

Nice!

My old ones are for sale BTW...

Cheers!

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Re: 1970 Bay Westfalia Campmobile, San Lorenzo, California

Postby aogrady » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:00 am

Hi!

OK, so a little time over the weekend, and I made up some curtain tie backs for the westy looky-likey curtains. Now, reproduction tie backs are like £5+ each, so over £40+ for that, decided I could do something better, and following the same plan as my tie backs i made for the hammock and cupboard door in earlier posts, I purchased some thinner leather strips in a brown colour to contrast with the curtains

I got some measurements and pictures, which were very kindly supplied by Dirty Harry from earlybay.com, and remade them in the same (more or less) size as the OG ones, hole punched, and used some patina'ed press studs to secure. Note the OG curtain material, I have a spare front screen cover... ;)

I think they look pretty cool, and cost me less than a tenner to make the lot inc press studs, and i still have some press studs left, and a small amount of the tan leather, so I'll put that to good use somewhere/sometime

Cheers!

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby TawCottage » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:40 am

Good stuff Alistair 8)

Steve
Life is not a rehearsal
TawCottage
Chat slut

Postby aogrady » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:30 pm

:D
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby dazzagreener » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:48 am

Mate always like reading your up dates and seeing the changes you have made over the years since I first saw your bus when I lived next door to you in instow.

Keep up the good work
dazzagreener
Chat Virgin

Postby aogrady » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi, yes, i remember, thanks for the kind comments, plenty more things to do, I'm gonna concentrate on doing the interior how i want it next, maybe address soundproofing differently when i take it all apart again, and finish off the rewiring for the electrics/solar/battery setup

Cheers,

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Mon May 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi,

Well, that time of the year, MOT, so a few weeks back now, checked the basics, and off we went.....

Good news, passed with no problems, same as last year, though the test was eventful for other reasons.....every time i dont fill the washer bottle with air, as it leaks air after some time, so normally borrow the airline at the mot place to fill, same again this year , quick one second burst of air was enough to keep the mot man happy, nice water burst up the screen..........followed a few minutes later with a hissing and water noise, and fluid pissing out the bottom......so that'll be the bottle or hoses gone then.... :roll:

Broke the brake test switch faffing with the heating control.... :roll:

And to top it all, i had to replace the drivers side wing mirror for the mot as i broke the glass some time back, scraping it backwards on the house wall reversing it out from under the house (twice!)

So - MOT now in hand, just reverse off the rollers, just in, belt up, shut door - crash! Fecking glass fell out of the crap GS wing mirror and shattered on the floor..... :roll: :evil: Crap pattern parts!

Put the old broken one back on, so looking for another OG drivers mirror please. :msn4:

Anyway, at least i have 12 months MOT, so made up some nice leather tie backs for the rear tailgate curtains :D

Cheers!

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Mon May 19, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi,

New fuel hose bought from Advanced Fluid Solutions, and you look back through my thread, you'll see how long it's been on - about 12 months, and this is what I found the other day:

And this hose only a year old :shock:

So i can't recommend what i have fitted, which supposedly is the best rated stuff? So what now? - note to people with cloth braided hoses, replace it, even the good stuff I fitted doesn't seem to last.

What are the merits of plastic fuel hose instead of rubber?

I have now bought and fitted a kit from Aircooled VW which is 100% bio fuel, methanol, ethanol, bio diesel etc, designed to last 25 years, so should be the last time i will need to replace it.....which is a good job as it's nearly £80 for a set!!!!

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby aogrady » Mon May 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi,

I've had a few days off work, so have done a few odds and ends

Drained and changed the gearbox oil, easy enough job - checked the fill bung would remove first, and oil came out, guess it had been overfilled?,

anyway, drained all out, and used this tool to refill:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280964956584? ... 1439.l2649

I used the GL4 spec EP80, and the old oil was dark brown in colour, the new was a golden colour, i guess the old had been in for a very very long time....Checked and topped up he steering box, about a inch or so from the top.

Bought a new square shifter bush, the urethane type, didn't get time to do this as well, another day.

I also removed the gear stick, cleaned and lubricated up the spring and the ball end part, and refitted, now with new fluid etc, the change is noticeably smoother, should improve with the new bush too.

Treated the gearstick to a new gear knob and extension:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190864946430? ... 1439.l2649

Adjusted brakes and handbrake, still need to tweak a bit more though, think i need some new rear drums as there is a tight spot, so i think they are not 100% round...

New aerial fitted, new sliding door seal all done, , cheated and cut it, now even tighter to close, but i have a little mod which will help closure.....hopefully

I have been meaning to remove the front OG badge and repaint as it has been rusty for a long while now....so with this in mind, i opted for a colour change, the same as the sidestep, Ford Roman Bronze Metallic.

Here is the work so far

And this is the front panel minus badge

Note the extra holes left by the PO who had fitted a spare wheel carrier, and drilled extra holes as well, about 11 pop rivets IIRC....I'll treat these again, and blob some sealer in the hole. If i ever decide to redo the front panel, (which would mean a repaint on the bumper - but loose all the patina) then i can do it all again then.

Sanded it all down, not 100% but was a quick job, primer, and sanded ready for top cot

First coat

5 coats in total, (probably too many), used a whole rattle can on it

As alway with these things, a fly decided to fall onto it...more sanding when dry......then a few coats of lacquer. I'll redo the sidestep end pieces too, a few stone chips and marks..

You may have noticed the large piece of Celotex in the first picture (scroll back up) well, this is for the engine bay roof, to which I'll fit the Firetec system pipework to...

Hopefully more tomorrow!

Cheers,

Alistair
aogrady
waffle gagger

Postby funkyfreakapotomus » Mon May 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Looking great, liking the badge colour!

Just changed my fuel hoses on the splitty which were cloth braided! Read a few horror stories about engine bay fires so keep checking those pipes folks!!
1964 Canterbury Pitt
1968 Bug (under construction)

Keep it stock
High with pride
funkyfreakapotomus
Wanna be chat slut

PreviousNext

Return to Rides and Riders